Question about the business of songwriting.

bluesunlegends

If I wrote a song and made a demo that I then upload onto soundcloud or YouTube, can it still be sold? Or does it have to be "unpublished"?

So let's say I upload the song to Youtube or soundcloud and it got thousands of hits. Maybe millions.:P Then I decide to try and pitch it to some artist, label, publisher, etc. Is it still going to be "sellable" or will it be considered published and they probably won't pick it up?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

If it's good enough they will use the original, if not they will redo it. Google publishing to see what publishing means. TBH your chances of getting "picked up" depend on how cute you are because lots of people are good Youtube singers/writers.

Lol that's funny Artimice.

Thank you for your responses, guys!

My career goals is to write music and lyrics professionally. So I got some questions about the business.

Bitterbeiber or Beiberbitter?
Establish your ownership but putting your name & date etc on whatever you do & put it wherever you like - becareful about "creative Commons" licencing on sites though. It allows others to fiddle with your stuff without asking.
You do need to READ a lot. You also need to join the performing rights org for your country/sate or similar so that they can collect mechanical royalties etc. Agina - mmmmmmore reading, thinking, comprehending and asking questions.

Bitterbeiber or Beiberbitter?
Establish your ownership but putting your name & date etc on whatever you do & put it wherever you like - becareful about "creative Commons" licencing on sites though. It allows others to fiddle with your stuff without asking.
You do need to READ a lot. You also need to join the performing rights org for your country/sate or similar so that they can collect mechanical royalties etc. Agina - mmmmmmore reading, thinking, comprehending and asking questions.

Lol
Hey thanks for all of that info! Very helpful.

You seem to know your stuff. I want your opinion on this: what do you think about selling royalty-free music like on websites like musicrevolution or audiojungle?is it worth it? I'd love to make some extra income, however the thought of my music being used for a big project in which I won't get paid royalties turns me off a bit though. But if it helps to start getting my name out there...I'm also contemplating that.

Also, if you had to choose between BMI or ASCAP which would you choose? Why?

What are your thoughts on Taxi.com?

Thank you in advance for response! :)

Many record companies will try and re-record it in their studio with the aim of gaining some of the publishing rights. Be aware of this.

Today I think an artist's biggest problem is not royalties or piracy, it's obscurity. If everyone knows your song and the majority talk about it and love it, there is always going to be a way of getting money from that situation one way or another. The big question is how do you break through that barrier of obscurity.....

NEVER NEVER NEVER post full songs you're trying to shop on your SoundCloud.
You're open to stealing....
I would post like 30 second clips or something..
Unless you went ahead and did ALL of the copyright stuff.

You don't need to do anything to copyright your work - if you write it, you own the copyright. What you have to do is be able to prove you wrote it. There are websites that provide digital signing of MP3s, Word documents, etc. for free. This allows you to prove the date you uploaded, which you would do before publishing to Soundcloud, etc. I guess a problem might be if someone ripped off your work and you didn't know about it.

Back