Question about storing bass cab.

ZoSo58LP

rock guy
so we had our first show last night, which was awesome! lol and when i got home at midnight, i just threw my huge 4x15 sunn bass cab into my garage...now the garage isn't heated, and the nights here probably get to around 10 degrees lately...right now it's 43 during the day. is it ok to store it in my garage until next saturday when i'm going to take it back out to a gig? i have no idea what hte cold effect of speakers is, if there is any at all...and i don't want to damage my 70's cab here lol...and it's just so damned heavy that bringing it down into my basement requires like 3 people, ugh.

That may be a considerable temperature change, but I really don't think a bass cab, made out of 5/8" plywood, with speakers (particularly the cones) able to withstand the punishment of low frequencies pushed through them by several hundred watts of power, is going to mind.

But, if you want to, I am sure someone would be happy to build a temp- and humidity-controlled road case for your bass cab. Heck, for, say, $1,000 plus shipping, I'll do it! :)

it should be ok ..... the only thing you're gonna worry about is condensation ...... but a week isn't gonna do anything. I wouldn't worry about it.
You can sick a fan blowing on it to quickly dry any condensation if you notice any. If it's nice and dry then don't even do that.

oh arcaxis, good call! hmm, i don't see any places anything could get in, though. it's just a bit box and there's a mesh screen grille on the front that nothing could get between. maybe i'll cover it in a bit blanket though, just in case. i figure a week shouldn't be TOO bad, but i did read some people saying that condensation could form from a temp change from cool to warm, and that the condensation on the speaker could ruin/short things out? i doubt going from, around 20-30 degrees to maybe 70ish could really do that that bad, what do you think?

once again ..... if you're worried about condensation stick a fan blowing on it and any that forms will dry right up.
Probably putting a blanket on it would not be a great idea. It's not gonna keep the cab warm so it won't help.
If any condensation DID form ..... the blanket would keep it from drying out as fast.
No ..... condensation isn't gonna short anything out because by the time you move the cab and get set up it will have dried out ..... and that's IF any formed anyway.

If it's below freezing the humidity is very low so no problem with condensation.

Yep - around here when it gets cold (-20C) the water on the garage floor disappears. And we used to get critters in the SP1's over the winter - amazing what they can find/chew up to make nests..... Just try and let the cab reach room temp at the venue before using it.

ido, we're playing 3rd or so, so she'll be sitting inside for probably an hour or 2 until we go on, so hopefully that'll get her to warm up..but the past few days have been around 60 here, with tomorrow maybe getting around 45. i think it should be fine

Back