Question about singing out

polarity

I only got to work with my vocal coach for a very short time (I moved away and honestly I was too shy to sing in front of her).

She did help me understand a few things but some stuff I never really got what she was saying and I'm finally starting to put the pieces together on my own. Anyway on to the question

She was always trying to get me to sing out more. Obviously it makes my voice much louder and in my head it made me feel like I was almost screaming things (even though I was not). It made it sound like I was losing the dynamics in my head but I'm starting to think that is not the case. My question is this though, it seems that when I'm really singing out I can end notes better. I don't want to say by doing runs, but it's like finishing a note with flourish? Instead of just the note being held then cutting it off or fading it out, I can switch to 2 or 3 notes and then cut it.. I don't know know exactly what it's called. I can't seem to do this when singing softer. Is this normal or do I need to put in more practice on the softer side to develop it?

Is there any way you can record a couple samples of what your trying to describe? Any good advice would need to know what exactly is going on. But, in general, more support is a good thing.

Back