Question about sennheiser 421

is it good for micing individual drums, or using it as an overhead. I've heard its good for kick... or maybe im thinking of something else..

The 421 is a good solid dynamic stage mic that's good on snare and toms. In this case, I agree with Kenny. It's not the greatest mic for acoustic guitar, although it isn't too bad for a stage mic on an acoustic. It can also be used for sax and brass.-Richie

Ok, if you had your choice which would you choose and why (I know a lot of it depends on drums sound etc, but just for the sake of discussion)?

MD 421 on snare, and SM 57 on floor tom or
SM 57 on snare, and MD 421 on floor tom

sm57 on snare, md421 on floor tom

Both mics sound good on snare, but a IMO the 57 sounds like crap on the floor tom compared to the 421. The 421 has a better low end response and will even sound good on a kick drum.

The 421 is also excellent on guitar cabs. Any major studio will have at least 3 or 4 of these mics lying around, often more.

it's in my top 3 kick mics.... others being a beta 91 and D112. it has quite a bit of attack, and good bottom as well. It's pattern is very wide, even for a cardioid. I use it live often, and sometimes it can feedback around 80hz, but it's nothing a gate or some precise EQ can't fix.

They used to be among the top dogs for live voc. I wonder how they compare to today's. I didn't know they were wide cards'.
Wayne

I wonder why ive never really liked using the RE20 on kick as much as a e602 or MD421. Maybe i need to mess around with it a little more but i never thought these brought out the kind of punch i was looking for with most stuff. Maybe i just like my kick mics to have alot of coloration?

Danny

Love the MD421! I have the current version and have used it on just about everything. I LOVE it on snare. Wish I had the cash to buy 3 or more.

It has been said that the 421 made today is brighter than the older 421s. Translated - the new ones are less suited for vocals.
I have an older model and I like it on vox.

emmm...

yeah i love this mic. for toms and extra kick drum mic. sound, i like to blend it with another mic... and also it works on guitar cabs and such as well. But great for toms. I love them for that.

hmm...

GoneinUS said:
Ok, if you had your choice which would you choose and why (I know a lot of it depends on drums sound etc, but just for the sake of discussion)?

MD 421 on snare, and SM 57 on floor tom or
SM 57 on snare, and MD 421 on floor tom

i would say 57 snare, 421 floor, but that is just me...

Back