Question about rackmount setup

CrazyMetalBeer

I am just starting my rackmount setup and I dont really know exactly how to run the units.
I dont even have any of them yet, but I will be getting BBE Sonic Maximizer soon and a 4 space rack. after that Im shooting for a tuner, compressor/limiter/gate, and an EQ.

How would I go about hooking these units up to my Mesa Boogie Mark IV?

are you using these seperate at different times. If so, get a patchbay

If you will always use all of them, put the tuner first, then the eq, then the compressor, then the sonic maximizer. Just hook the outputs of the first one to the inputs of the secord, outputs of the second to inputs of third.....etc

On a Mark IV?

First, throw out the BBE. Then, toss the comp/gate.

After that, jump up and down on the EQ and throw it out.

Then, hook up the tuner and play.

I don't want to seem... "negative" really isn't the word... "Shocked" perhaps...

Why would you want to hook up a bunch of stuff in front of a Mark IV? If you can't get the thing to sound wonderful all by itself, there's something terribly wrong with it.

I haven't used the BBE but I do agree with Massive Master. Get a good microphone instead. There are lots of cheap microphones that translate well for guitar amps, and some that do well even with cheap microphone preamps.

Chances are, if you're playing through any Mesa Boogie amp, then you're using it for distortion... Which means your signal is already compressed to hell. You don't need a "volume maximizer" or any other dynamics processors.

Nevertheless, if you do go ahead with all that stuff, be warned: The line out from a Mesa Boogie amp is bloody hot. I've never tested with a multimeter, but I suspect it's even hotter than +4 dbu. So any gear that takes -10dbv input signals will sound like crap right off the bat!

$0.02,

Johann

jtienhaara said:
I haven't used the BBE but I do agree with Massive Master. Get a good microphone instead. There are lots of cheap microphones that translate well for guitar amps, and some that do well even with cheap microphone preamps.

Chances are, if you're playing through any Mesa Boogie amp, then you're using it for distortion... Which means your signal is already compressed to hell. You don't need a "volume maximizer" or any other dynamics processors.

Nevertheless, if you do go ahead with all that stuff, be warned: The line out from a Mesa Boogie amp is bloody hot. I've never tested with a multimeter, but I suspect it's even hotter than +4 dbu. So any gear that takes -10dbv input signals will sound like crap right off the bat!

$0.02,

Johann

well, actually, the Mark IV has needed some work.
I got it from Ebay, and when it arrived, all 4 6l6 tubes were broken inside and a few of the knobs for equilization dont work/are scratchy.
It allready has a 5 band EQ, so I'm not too worried about getting an EQ right now but my sonic maximizer should be here today. I dunno what you're saying, but I can't wait to hear the boogie thru the bbe. I've heard recordings before of a guitar riff with and without the bbe, and gawd dayum!! world of a difference.
I play mostly metal. I love Lamb of God, and I really love their guitar tone. They use pretty much everything I'm gonna be getting.

Ugh, I have a BBE but never use it anymore. It's kind of a band aid. Money is much better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

Back