question about "noise" issues with new Tascam HD P2 with Oade HD upgrades

halfred

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've sold my Microtrack 11 to one of my piano students and have moved on to an upgraded Tascam HD P2--- and within my limited experience, and in my humble opinion, this recorder kick ass. Dead quiet preamps, clear as a bell, great depth of tone. In case I haven't spoken with you yet, I'm recording solo acoustic classical piano on a Steinway B in my living room. I'm recording 5-7' out from the bend of the piano lid fully open, as well as some close micing with lid on short stick (to screen out mechanical noises.)
I was advised by several audio engineers (I'll be sending files eventually to someone for mastering), to make sure recordings peak at between -3 and -6 db. I'm experimenting with two Rode NT1A's alternately with two Pulsar 11 mics. The problem is that when I turn the gain up so the the recording is at the recommended peaks, the recocrder rattles and make wierd feedback noises, especially closer to -3db. The mics pick up a little of the noise in the recording although it is sort of faint. I take this occurence to mean that something aint right. It seems that the highest the peak can be is -12 db to not get the rattles and feedback noise. After my first encounter with the problem I tried turning the -20 db pads (previously it was on -0db.) But it was basically the same. I just had to turn up the gain and ,again, could not record with peak higher than -12db or I get the noises. Wondering what this means and would it be a problem sending files for mastering with a peak of 12db, for instance, would there not be enough volume to work with etc.
Also wondering about this. I made two recordings both peaking at 12db, one with -0 pad and one with -20 pad. Is there a practical difference? I've listened to so many sound samples I made but it seems to me that the one with-0 pad on had more punch to it , or could be my imagination at this point. Thanks for advice in advance

Got the answer, thanks. It's specific to the Tascam. The playback speakers are on by default unless the headphones are plugged in. You just need to turn off the volume control for the headphones.

Last edited:
Back