Question about my Firepod

SteveCPerrino

So I own a firepod and I plug 7 drum mics into it (AKG D112, SM57, 2 e604's, Audix F12, and 2 Audix F15's) and record with Cubase LE.

I play with the mixer set to "input" and it sounds good.

but then when I play it in the "playback" setting it sounds completely different, compressed, a lot more bassy, quiter, and just a lot worse in general.

What could be causing this problem? I have a good firewire cable, and when I'm listening to to it through Cubase I don't have any EQ, compression, Reverb, or anything on it yet.

I've had kind of the opposite experience when I monitor through the Firepod. Though, not compressed, but a bit thick and dense sounding. I've set it up to record and monitor through my mixer and then it sounds good and the same recording as playing back. When I had to take it out with my laptop to record my upright bass I've had a hard time relying on the Firepod's monitoring. I just chalked it up to the Firepod's internal montior mix.

I'd be curious to know if you monitored your sound through Cubase (I don't know how - I use Sonar) if it sounded the same. Of course the latency would probably drive you crazy, but it might be worth a try. Or, if you can monitor through a mixer, try that. Sorry, more questions than help.

Back