Question about MIDI and a keyboard

Enrique

I have this fairly simple question. I have a Fostex MR-8 digital multitrack recorder. I just recently found an old keyboard that has MIDI capabilities. So, I purchased a few MIDI cables and hooked the two up. I have no experience with MIDI, so I read the manual for the MR-8. It talks about MTC and/or Clock. Can someone please help explain this to me?! I don't even know how to record stuff on the keyboard to its own databank!! I just assumed if I hooked the two together, I could just play and record at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well, if your connection is only MIDI based you would be recording MIDI control messages or such not the actual sound... the sound would be produced by playing back these messages through the MIDI out on the MR-8 to the input on the keyboard. btw- what keyboard is it?

That's the weird thing for me though, I am running the cables through the out on the MR-8 and through the input of the keyboard. The keyboard is a very old Yamaha. I'll get you the make and model as soon as I can.

Enrique, the midi out of the MR8 will only trigger your keyboard if you have a sequencer on board. Otherwise, you wont get anything at all. Being an Mr8 user myself, I use the midi clock to control any midi tracks I have in Ntrack or Cubase. What you need to do is get yourself some software for the pc that can sequence, and then control it with the MR8. You will then be able to use the keyboard to convert the midi signal from the computer into actual sounds.

Back