Question about impulses

McShredsAlot

So I have a few of LePous heads and various impulse pa is (Catharsis, Godscabs etc)

I don't really have experience micing real cabs. So what's a good place to start? The impulses have a bunch of different mica all in different positions. What are some good mic position/combinations to achieve some good tones? I usually just pick a 57 about an inch from the cap and then randomly pick a second one until it sounds good but I know there's actually technique when picking these sort of things. Thanks!

You wanna know what the big boys do when they mic a guitar amp? They stick a mic in front of it and then move it around until it sounds good!

Well, some guys have an assistant in the tracking room getting his ears blasted and moving the mic while the guy who gets paid the big bucks sits in the control room saying "a little to the left..." through the talkback mic. I suspect that more "professionals" than we'd like to believe just stick the thing in some default position and hit record.

But that really is the big trick. Move the mic, listen, move it again, listen...

The "right" position is the one which gets the sound you need for the mix you're building, and none of us can tell you what that might be.

+1. You.will find that putting the Mic in the center of the speaker is really bright and the sound gets darker as you move it towards the edge of the cone. My default position is right where the dust cap meets the cone for a 57. If that sounds too dark, I move it towards the center. If it sounds too bright, I move it towards the edge.

Thanks for the tips guy. Like I said, I don't have any experience micing cabs and impulses are "supposed to be spot on". I knew that putting the mic in a certain position would make it more bright and such, but none of the articles I read really said which positions do what.

Never believe the hype. I don't use impulses for anything but reverb. The problem with impulses of miked guitar cabs is that they have a linear response and in real life they do not.

You just can't simulate moving that much air around with an impulse. If you do, it's a static capture in a single instance in time.

Cheers :)

You wanna know what the big boys do when they mic a guitar amp? They stick a mic in front of it and then move it around until it sounds good!

Well, some guys have an assistant in the tracking room getting his ears blasted and moving the mic while the guy who gets paid the big bucks sits in the control room saying "a little to the left..." through the talkback mic. I suspect that more "professionals" than we'd like to believe just stick the thing in some default position and hit record.

But that really is the big trick. Move the mic, listen, move it again, listen...

The "right" position is the one which gets the sound you need for the mix you're building, and none of us can tell you what that might be.

my one trip to a pro studio that's what I saw 'em do too...a SM57 right in front of the amp..straight into the board then into the ProTools DAW. sounded great.

Never believe the hype. I don't use impulses for anything but reverb. The problem with impulses of miked guitar cabs is that they have a linear response and in real life they do not.

You just can't simulate moving that much air around with an impulse. If you do, it's a static capture in a single instance in time.

Cheers :)

^This! Nebula can simulaate the moving air thing?

^This! Nebula can simulaate the moving air thing?

I wish I could get Nebula to work for me but I think I goofed up the download or something. The damn thing is buggy as all Hell. If you've found a way to really simulate a cabinet moving different amounts of air in Nebula PLEASE SHARE! I usually just rock the Redwirez stuff. It's good, but it ain't like the real thing.

Back