Question about getting tape to cd

billmcdonald

My friend has a Tascam Portastudio and we were wondering what would be the best (or the cheapest ;) ) way to go from tape to cd. Thanks.

I tell you what I did to get an old record/ LP to disc...I used a MIC200 preamp with a CAD m177 condenser mic and recorded the sound that came out of the record player speaker. I tweaked the sound in wavelab 4.0. The result was unbelievable. I was really happy with the sound. It was very clear. So maybe you can just mic up speakers from the output of the Tascam.

Or do what everyone else in the world does and take the line out from your portastudio into the line in of your soundcard and record it that way :D

Monkey Allen said:
I tell you what I did to get an old record/ LP to disc...I used a MIC200 preamp with a CAD m177 condenser mic and recorded the sound that came out of the record player speaker. I tweaked the sound in wavelab 4.0. The result was unbelievable. I was really happy with the sound. It was very clear. So maybe you can just mic up speakers from the output of the Tascam.

Alright, well, my soundcard sucks, so I was thinking about geting one that was made for recording (like the audiophile?) I have about 100 dollars to spend. Ill do some searching and see what soundcard or preamp I like best.

billmcdonald said:
Alright, well, my soundcard sucks, so I was thinking about geting one that was made for recording (like the audiophile?) I have about 100 dollars to spend. Ill do some searching and see what soundcard or preamp I like best.
If you go line out to line in you don't need a preamp.

A preamp takes a weaker signal (usually Mic level) up to line level. The output of your Tascam will already be line level so no need for a preamp.

I use the audiophile's bigger brother the 1010LT and if that's anything to go on I'd say you should be very happy with the audiophile 2496.

You'll need software too. For free audacity should do everything you need. If you want a bit more capability (noise reduction tools etc.) you could try Acoustica which has a fully functional 30 day trial and costs $29 if you decide you like it enough to keep it.

Back