Question about getting rid of Ambient Background Noise!

tensyume

Hello Forum,

I have recently made a recording of a String Quartet playing my song, and I have found that there is a very annoying ambient background/room noise that is constantly there.

It becomes even more noticeable when the strings are quiet or not playing.

Is there a way to get rid of, or even reduce this background noise?

I have Cubase 5; is there anything I can do with it to reduce this noise?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi there,
It's quite a low rumble so, yes, you probably can tame it without doing too much damage.
I'm not at the DAW right now but I might download and have a play with the clip in the morning to see what a high pass or fairly low-q cut does.

I wouldn't even go near a noise gate because the entrance/exit is likely to sound unnatural on this kind of recording.

There is a spot where there is nothing but the background noise. You may be able to use that as a noise print with a noise-reduction plug in. I don't know what's available in Cubase.

However, using noise reduction can sometimes affect the quality of what you want to keep.

Hi there,
It's quite a low rumble so, yes, you probably can tame it without doing too much damage.
I'm not at the DAW right now but I might download and have a play with the clip in the morning to see what a high pass or fairly low-q cut does.

I wouldn't even go near a noise gate because the entrance/exit is likely to sound unnatural on this kind of recording.

Yes that would be greatly appreciated! The one I put up is only a sample of the whole song. I have the whole song in file if you would like to edit that for me!! Thanks!

There is a spot where there is nothing but the background noise. You may be able to use that as a noise print with a noise-reduction plug in. I don't know what's available in Cubase.

However, using noise reduction can sometimes affect the quality of what you want to keep.

Do you know if there would be any noise-reduction plug and that you recommend?

Back