Question about Echo Indigo IO

rpc9943

Hi everyone

just reading and researching up and almost ready to buy the echo indigo io pcmcia card for my laptop, but i read somewhere that it doesnt have "direct monitoring" ... does this mean i can't hear the microphone as im recording? Please tell me no! Let me know what "direct monitoring" means... I am thinking it means an extra output for monitors but not sure.

RonC

Direct monitoring means that the input of the card is directly routed to the output so that you can hear back what you're recording without latency, which is vital when you're multi-tracking. if you don't have direct monitoring support, it doesn't have to be a big issue when you can achieve really low latencies or even better if you have your monitoring routing set up outside the indigo.

I hope that makes sense.

P.S. don't purchase ANYTHING if you're not sure if it works for you. So the "I'm going to purchase it very soon" remark is kind of foolish.

I know what you mean about the buying soon... My problem is i need a new laptop sound card asap...

But what im gathering is, while multitracking, im not going to be able to hear what im recording through my headset? What kind of card is that? Even my crappy sblive and moreover my crappy internal maestro can do that... Am i missing something? Can you further explain what exactly will happen, then? I'm going to have even MORE problems recording multitrack, through cooledit/audition than my maestro has?

Extra note: Oh okay I see now, you mentioned i can route it through, so im assuming that is the same as using SBlive "playback volume select" correct?

rpc9943 said:
I know what you mean about the buying soon... My problem is i need a new laptop sound card asap...

But what im gathering is, while multitracking, im not going to be able to hear what im recording through my headset? What kind of card is that? Even my crappy sblive and moreover my crappy internal maestro can do that... Am i missing something? Can you further explain what exactly will happen, then? I'm going to have even MORE problems recording multitrack, through cooledit/audition than my maestro has?

Extra note: Oh okay I see now, you mentioned i can route it through, so im assuming that is the same as using SBlive "playback volume select" correct?

You will be able to hear it. It's just that there will be a echo sound to it.

Built-in digital mixer provides near-zero latency monitoring

And it's got a DSP chip in there for mixing and monitoring, so I don't think it will be a problem. I doubt you will have that much latency with a newer notebook that the echo sound will be audible. You should be fine.

well i purchased it and my laptop is 500mhz dell we'll see! if it's made with low latency, im assuming it wont have much of a problem.

ron c

Back