Question about Earthworks mics

Marik

Pro Microphone Design
I heard that Earthworks use cheap Panasonic electret capsules in their omni SD mics and then add very good preamps. Is that true???

Earthworks does use Panasonic capsules...it's been discussed at least a few times around the various boards and newsgroups. They certainly do a nice job with those things, though...

Been meaning to try to make my own SDC with one as well...

Thanks guys. Yeah, I asked the question with hidden intention to use the capsule, throw away a FET, and make a tube preamp. What model of the Panasonic they use, if it is not a secret?

Marik,

I notice that you're posting this question on various bulletin boards. May i suggest you try www.gearslutz.com , as there are at least a couple of Earthworks guys that regularly hang out there.

That's probably your best place to get some real information that's not just speculation.

Marik said:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I asked the question with hidden intention to use the capsule, throw away a FET, and make a tube preamp. What model of the Panasonic they use, if it is not a secret?
I talked to David about this at the AES show a few years ago, he use a special Panasonic capsule that is not available to the public. I didn't press him for any of the details.

Back