Question About Distribution...Please Help

tbiddy38

I got an offer to sign a distribution deal with a company that has there own distribution through Universal. The label is Lafette records/Universal, (so they say)..The head of the label wants me to pay them about $1000 for marketing and promotion, while they do the work. My songs are recorded and they will mix and master them for the release. They will handle all other expenses. I have all the contracts for everything, and I believe everything is legit anf not a scam, but I'd like your guys input. I was wondering if this is standard practice in the music industry, cause I've never heard about an artist paying a label upfront to distrbute their music, but of I could be wrong....Can you guys help me out please....

I don't even know...What is Rep power?...this is my first post in like 6 months...I've only posted a like 20 30 times before...Does that mean nobody likes you? lol

It usually means that you pissed somebody off. I take it you have asked questions like this before, or you have cross-posted (that means you posted the same question is lots of different forums on this board). That kind of gives the impression that you are a troll. I hope you know what that is, and that you understand that I am not trying to come off as an asshole.

But to answer your question, it's normal for a record company to finance a band or artist's first album. They do that as an investment in which they expect a return. In the old days of radio, before canned music and automated play lists, they used to pay DJ's to spin a record and get it airplay. It was all money that the artist would have to pay back to the record company. That's why most one-hit wonders fade into obscurity and end up getting "real" jobs. They are in debt to the record company before their first single hits the airwaves.
I think in your case, this company is offering to distribute your cd, so they are going to burn a certain number of copies to do so.
I also believe that if they contacted you through your soundclick or other mp3 hosting site that they are probably not legit.
If you really want to know, contact the better business bureau and find out about them. Ask around (not to your friends, but a legit source like the BBB) and see if they are legit. Just because they claim to be from Universal or wherever, doesn't mean they are who they say they are.
Ask for a written contract and take it to a lawyer.
Don't believe your own hype. There are litterally thousands of these offers being made every day.
I got one myself, and anyone who has heard my songs knows, they are shite.
Good luck, if it turns out to be the real thing, I'm happy for you. I suspect it's not.

tbiddy38 said:
The head of the label wants me to pay them about $1000 for marketing and promotion, while they do the work.

I will do it for $900. Send me 900 and I will guarantee you the same results as they can give you. :D

and I believe everything is legit anf not a scam, but I'd like your guys input.

You are incorrect. It's a scam and a ripoff. Have you looked at their website??
click here click here too

If thats not a scam I dont know what is. With the 900 you could send me, I will be honest at all times: I intend to scam you. :D Its a ripoff, trust me.

Back