Question about Distribution deals....Help please

tbiddy38

I got an offer to sign a distribution deal with a company that has there own distribution through Universal. The label is Lafette records/Universal, (so they say)..The head of the label wants me to pay them about $1000 for marketing and promotion, while they do the work. My songs are recorded and they will mix and master them for the release. They will handle all other expenses. I have all the contracts for everything, and I believe everything is legit anf not a scam, but I'd like your guys input. I was wondering if this is standard practice in the music industry, cause I've never heard about an artist paying a label upfront to distrbute their music, but of I could be wrong....Can you guys help me out please....

not to be pessimistic... $1000 to mix and master? and promote and distribute? $1000 would be not even a drop in the bucket.

if they really want to promote you, they need to believe they can recoup that grand without you putting it up. otherwise, they must not be very good at what they do.

you need to investigate

Almost guaranteed scam. Most labels work in a totally different manner. The standard agreement is that they will loan you XXXXXXX$ to get your CD tracked/mixed/mastered. You will be told that you are going to receive x% of each CD sale(prolly very minimal). At this point you are also told that all of the money they loaned you for tracking/mixing/mastering must be paid back from these sales too. This works based on the idea that you sell a ton of fucking records, otherwise you end up getting a day job to pay for the loan they gave you.

Either way, if you can post up the name of the company, then maybe some of the guys in the industry can verify their legitimacy or not.

Simon

myspace blocked at my job, but that really doesnt sound right at all. You gotta think about it, what can a major distribution label do with just 1000 dollars? And why would they need it from you.

ive known plenty of so called labels say they are under the umbrella of larger well known majors in order to scam people out of their money. Its a dude claiming his label is distributed through universal now, scamming mad artists online. He even has put up money to get ads in the source and xxl, but nothing is legit. The artists on his "releases" dont even affiliate with him. He's an industry stan who takes advantage of hungry artists. A label with major distribution doesnt need your money.

I absolutely die inside when I see these scam artists praying on musicians who would give anything to take the next step. It's a disgusting part of the world of music and unfortunetly one I've fallen for before.

That's why if you send $19.95 to the address below, I'll send you a fool proof way to make one zillion dollars without ever even having to record a song! :)

Seriously, I agree with what others have said. I've had some venture capital experience and rule number one is "don't invest in something you don't think will be a success." The fact that they're asking for you to put up your own money means they a) have their doubts or b) are total scams and will be gone the minute your check clears.

I'd also be currious what they define as "distribution?" Getting you on Amazon and CDBaby, or in every mom'n'pop indy shop in the US, or ....?

Last edited:
Back