Question about Behringer UB802 LEDs

hawk

Setup is: elec and acoustic gtrs > pedals > UB802 > Audiophile 24/96.

I'm trying to figure out why my input signal as shown by the LEDs is always so low yet my signal on the soundcard is higher. The input signal on my mixer is always VERY low. It hangs around -20db or lower unless I crank the gain, but if I do that it clips the meters on my soundcard. Does this matter? The final input signal on my soundcard is fine (I record at about -6db, I just can't figure out why the mixer's is so low comparatively.

Massive Master said:
I think you're mixing up dBvu and dBfs...

Um, not sure I understand what you mean. I'm talking about the LEDs that indicate the input signal comming into the mixer.

The lights on the Behringer are reading dBVU - Your soundcard's input is reading dBfs. The calibrations can differ, but the 0dBfs (fs = Full Scale, btw) point can be anywhere from -20 to -10dBVU.

So getting the -20 dBVU light on the Berry is probably going to be close to your -6dBfs level at the card.

Now all this is assuming that you're not running a balanced (+4dBu) signal to an unbalanced (-10dBV) input - That's for another thread.

Massive Master said:
Now all this is assuming that you're not running a balanced (+4dBu) signal to an unbalanced (-10dBV) input

It also assumes that the Behringer meters are anywhere near accurate, which I wouldn't bet on.

Massive Master said:
The lights on the Behringer are reading dBVU - Your soundcard's input is reading dBfs. The calibrations can differ, but the 0dBfs (fs = Full Scale, btw) point can be anywhere from -20 to -10dBVU.

So getting the -20 dBVU light on the Berry is probably going to be close to your -6dBfs level at the card.

Now all this is assuming that you're not running a balanced (+4dBu) signal to an unbalanced (-10dBV) input - That's for another thread.

Interesting. Would have been nice if the manual mentioned that! Thanks for the info....

Whoa, whoa - Brakes on here for a second...

In my hastiness, I didn't realize that I'm working backwards here - Ignore my previous posts for the most part and lets start again here. I need more coffee...

Do you have the capability to run a test tone through the system to follow the signal?

ROblows said:
It also assumes that the Behringer meters are anywhere near accurate, which I wouldn't bet on.

Wrong, on a lot of technical issues like this Berry get it spot-on.

Tony

Massive Master said:
Whoa, whoa - Brakes on here for a second...

In my hastiness, I didn't realize that I'm working backwards here - Ignore my previous posts for the most part and lets start again here. I need more coffee...

Do you have the capability to run a test tone through the system to follow the signal?

Okay, what do you have in mind?

If you've got a CD with a 1kHz tone at 0dBfs, play it through the mixer with everything at unity and see what you're getting at your sound card.

Back