question about aux send & returns

DrJones

MG32/14fx Yamaha mixing console, mono system (so you know what i'm working with).

Aux 1-2

Aux 1---> input FX processor out ---> L return 1 (mono)

Aux 2 same as above (of course send-return "2")

Aux 3-4 there are sends but no returns. How do you make that signal chain back to these Aux.

I am new to this type of signal routing so thank you for your help.

the specs for that mixer say there are 6 sends but only 2 returns. looks like you're going to have to patch them back to mixer channels.

So your saying?

Aux 3 ---> input FX processor out --> channel 4 input.

Activate channel 4 Slide fader to 0 and use Aux 3 on on any channel you wish to add FX on?

I feel stupid asking this question but I dont understand how the processed signal gets back to the aux channel w/ no returns

Thanks

just treat the signal from the fx processor as if it were another instrument.

aux send 3 -> fx in 1 / fx out 1 -> open channel 1
aux send 4 - fx in 2 /fx out 2 -> open channel 2

I hate it when that happens.....

My Mackie has 6 sends, but only 4 returns. Luckily, I have enough channels to bring the last two back in via a pair of faders.

I cant wait to be able to afford a mixer that gives me as many returns as sends....

if you are using aux 1+2 for FX make shure that they are assigned to post fader. Just thought I'd add that

The aux sends are just outputs. The aux ins are just inputs. Other than the name, they aren't related. One reason to have more sends than returns is, during live use, you would use some of the auxes for monitor mix sends. Sometimes, it's preferable to have the effects return on a channel. That way you can EQ the effect and send that effect into another one or to the monitors.

petermiller said:
if you are using aux 1+2 for FX make shure that they are assigned to post fader. Just thought I'd add that
You need a break from the studio.
Your getting shure and sure mixed up. Time for a holiday :D ;)

Aux returns are just handy "extra channels" without many features that are especially useful for plugging in things like CD players, cassette decks, turntables, video decks, etc.

People think that because Aux Sends and Aux returns both have the word "Aux" in them, that one is somehow morally obligated to use them together. Not so. You can if you want, but there is no real advantage to it.

Many people almost never route an aux send back through an aux return. I use aux sends as headphone or monitor mixes a lot, and those that I use as effects sends I return through regular mixer channels - that way, as Farview pointed out, you get the full control of the signal (panning, EQ, insert points, additional aux sends for sending the fx to cue mixes, etc.)

A good quality mixer may have 6, 8, or even 12 aux sends. But maybe only 4 aux returns. Aux returns just aren't very important - there is nothing you can do with them that you can't do with a regular mixer channel. The only time they become really crucial is when you have a really small mixer, like only six channels, and then the aux returns may be critical because you need every input you can get.

Once you have a board with 24 channels or so, chances are all you will use the aux returns for are to keep a CD player etc. permanently patched into the board.

Ya, I like setting my Aux sends on PRE and just returning it to a LINE IN channel... That way you can turn the dry channel down and still hear the FX... You get completely independent volume controls...

Feedback Loop!!!

Oh ya, and we all know how to avoid a feedback loop... You know, resending the "return channel" out thru the aux send again. I'm sure we don't need to review that one again.

On my Mackie I can simulate a pre-fader send using a post fader aux loop by unassigning the channel from any sub or main bus. Then the sound gets routed thru the aux loop according to the fader position, but the only sound returned is the aux loop.

I dont know why that was such a fascinating discovery for me.....

It was a dark and stormy night...... :rolleyes:

Back