Question about AP 24/96

hawk

This might be dumb question but....

How do you adust the analog INPUT levels on this card? I've played around with the Delta Control Panel but even if I mute everything in the Monitor Mixer, I still get signal comming in. Do you have to adjust the input levels before the signal gets to the card??

thanks

Yes you gotta turn down the gain on your preamp, or your line-level source.

The levels in the M-Audio mixer only affects the outputs

Although you can use the panel mixer as a record source, if you use the "monitor mixer" or in ASIO inputs 5/6 selected as record inputs in your software. The mixer faders will then affect your recording level.
This isn't advisable though because being on the digital side, the faders can't prevent clipping if the analog signal on the line inputs is too high. So as Bulls Hit says, you need to be able to turn down the input at its source. This isn't directly possible with some tape decks so you'd connect via a mixer.

There is a level select (consumer, 10db, 4db? - I can't remember) in the cards control panel, but I also can't remember if this works on the inputs or only on outputs! Play with it and see.

guttadaj said:
Make sure that you have "Monitor Mixer" chosen under the Patchbay/Router tab.

I do, (and I've tried all the other settings too,) but this doesn't give you the ability to adjust input levels. I'm thinking it's as Bulls Hit said, you have to do it on the mixer.

Selecting the mixer in the patchbay only routes the mix to the outputs. To record the mix as set by the faders, you must select the monitor mixer as your recording device IN YOUR RECORDING PROGRAM. This definately works.

If the program uses Windows default recording device, and gives no option to select any other, you must go into Windows control panel /Sounds, multimedia properties; and select the record device on the recording tab there.

There are several to choose from
M-audio ap2496 1/2 (the analog rca inputs)
M-audio ap2496 s/pdif input
M-audio ap2496 Monitor mixer
M-audio ap2496 Multichannel

But...

Recording off the monitor mixer means you end up re-recording anything playing back, so you can only have the input faders turned up or unmuted. Not a problem if you only want to record stereo off something else to make CDs or Mp3's, but a major drawback for multitracking.

Back