Question about active bass pickups.

Alaking

... the question i have is: if the battery powering the active pickups is weak, or dies completely, what happens sound wise?

does everything just stop? does it just sound crappier?

thanks for your input.

It gets very bad and then stops. My bass player uses EMG active pickups in all his basses. Lost a battery one time live, it was funny. :)

H2H

Yeah. First you think your amp tubes are dying, then you think you have a bad cord, then you hear nothing. The 9V's last a long time for active pickups, but its a good idea to change them 2 or three times a year, because things sound just fine until they get to the last bit of current, (usually when you are on a live gig) and then it all craps out quick.

Just a quick note somewhat on the subject. Be sure to unplug your Active bass when you are not using it. This helps to maintain battery a bit. Also your Stomp boxes while I am there.

Fangar

hmmmm interesting....... i can't make up my mind guys.

I'm trying to choose between buying a Fender American Standard or Deluxe Jazz Bass.

The deluxe has active pickups, and can yield more sound than the standard.. but it also comes with a larger pricetag..

Anyone have info/warnings about active pickups? Im interested in hearing your opinions.....

thanks guys.

Alaking said:
hmmmm interesting....... i can't make up my mind guys.

I'm trying to choose between buying a Fender American Standard or Deluxe Jazz Bass.

The deluxe has active pickups, and can yield more sound than the standard.. but it also comes with a larger pricetag..

Anyone have info/warnings about active pickups? Im interested in hearing your opinions.....

thanks guys.

I use an Ibanez SR1020 QS which has active P/U's for recording. I like it quite a bit more than the old Ibanez Passive that I had. I like the control that the EQ gives. Most Basses with Active elctronics come with an active EQ that allows you to boost, sweep and cut midrange, bass and treble. Quite a wider range of sounds and control. Some people prefer however a Passive bass for recording and to later use an EQ to dial in the tone. Either way, I prefer the control of the EQ on the bass.

Fangar

Back