Quarks and Leptons

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3924&alid=-1

This is my most recent musical idea and is the first time I've used my Soundcraft 200-something: Nylon string guitar with 2 mics, Bass guitar direct-in, midi-based drums, SONAR HE.

I'm having trouble getting this loud enough, so please crank it up. It's a pretty cool groove when heard at the proper volume and I'm wondering how to retain that energy level but at lower volume.

Hey Eddie....sounds cool, but almost exactly like something that MadAudio posted here a couple of months ago...
....did you happen to listen to his piece? They're almost identical, though differently arranged.... :confused:

whyseye said:
Hey Eddie....sounds cool, but almost exactly like something that MadAudio posted here a couple of months ago...
....did you happen to listen to his piece? They're almost identical, though differently arranged.... :confused:

No but I will try to find and listen. :confused:

EddieRay said:
No but I will try to find and listen. :confused:

Well I checked out the last thing Mad posted in the clinic and it didn't seem similar at all. If you're talking about something else of his, where should I look?

What I DID listen to was awesome!

whyseye said:
Could just be a leap that my mind made....sometimes I'm just crazy like that.... :rolleyes: :D
...this was the one...https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=225016
..but I might have been thinking of the first version of his, before it really filled out....
...either way - good stuff....from both!! :cool:

Yup that's the one. Very full. Sounds great at any volume level.

Mine only seems to get that visceral energy by cranking it up. But if I push the master faders much any further it clips where ever I "thump" on the guitar.

BTW, the lo-fi version really sucks.

New mix posted. I tried to get it a little louder. I'm not sure I did. I did pan the reverse guitar back and forth for effect.

Again, this has to be cranked up to get the feel, the full groove. Otherwise it leans towards easy-listening. Is it the nature of the music? Or is it the mix?

I like the sounds...very clean guitar. The playing, and what you captured is pretty cool. Nice sounds. I dinked with it some, eq wise, but it may not have done anything good. Made it louder, but that doesn't necessarily enhance the music. It brought out some aspects I like, but may not be best for this tune.

I really like what you captured...very good stuff.

Thanks for listening and for the comments.

The guitar was recorded with an AT4041 over my right shoulder and panned about 50% to the left. It picked up most of the thump & smack. I also put a GT55 about 3 feet in front and panned it about 30% right. I cut 1dB at 200Hz on both tracks to eliminate a slight boominess. I compressed both at 3:1 with a hard knee after tracking, then compressed again on the master bus with the same settings.

After listening in several different environments the bass guitar seems too weak so I will try remixing and general tweaking until some lyrics about quarks and leptons come to me. :D

New mix posted.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3924&alid=-1

This has been quite a learning experience. What did I learn?

1) SONAR's "clipping" indicator does not always mean clipping has occurred, like it did in Cakewalk 9. I don't have to be afraid to see red.

2) I can use make-up gain on a compressor plug-in if I feel like it. No need to avoid.

3) I need to play around more with limiters.

Thanks to all for helping me out here!

The gtr's more full sounding. But I'd take out the compression if it were me. Downward broadband compression, that is. Sounds like it's reducing the highs that make the wisp of the finger on the nylon string have so much character. Seemed like it had more of that before though the fullness now is good.

Back