Quantum 2626/ADAT Compatibility

marvin2g3

How do you use another interface(non PreSonus) with a quantum 2626? I am using 1 optical cable from the other interface to the quantum 2626. Do I absolutely have to use an in and out optical cable for each interface? Also, none of my ADAT inputs show up as active in UC. Am I missing a step in my connections?

Any clues/experiences are WELCOMED!

I've never heard of connecting two interfaces together via optical. For it to work would depend of if the interface can be set to work stand alone and set to route the analog inputs to optical out.

I have an 8 channel preamp with optical out that I used with my Pro Tools interface. In that case, the inputs are routed to the optical outs by default with no need to do anything else besides syncing clocks.

So what is the second interface and what are its ability to work stand alone?

I've never heard of connecting two interfaces together via optical. For it to work would depend of if the interface can be set to work stand alone and set to route the analog inputs to optical out.

I have an 8 channel preamp with optical out that I used with my Pro Tools interface. In that case, the inputs are routed to the optical outs by default with no need to do anything else besides syncing clocks.

So what is the second interface and what are its ability to work stand alone?
The 2nd interface is a Behringer UMC1820, works just fine as a stand alone unit. But I went “big” with buying the quantum as it would be the center piece of my home rig. I use it to record drums more than anything. I(at least on the surface anyway) had my quantum set as the master and the umc1820 synced to the quantum at 48K, but I get no input displaying from ADAT channels in universal control or studio one itself. I’m wondering if presonus makes their products to work together in a proprietary manner.......meaning I’d have to get another presonus unit for it to work. Thoughts? And THANK YOU for the quick response!

The 2nd interface is a Behringer UMC1820, works just fine as a stand alone unit. But I went “big” with buying the quantum as it would be the center piece of my home rig. I use it to record drums more than anything. I(at least on the surface anyway) had my quantum set as the master and the umc1820 synced to the quantum at 48K, but I get no input displaying from ADAT channels in universal control or studio one itself. I’m wondering if presonus makes their products to work together in a proprietary manner.......meaning I’d have to get another presonus unit for it to work. Thoughts? And THANK YOU for the quick response!
I think you have how this operates confused. There is no way I see from the manual to route channels 1-8 to outputs 13-20. as a standalone device.

I think you have how this operates confused. There is no way I see from the manual to route channels 1-8 to outputs 13-20. as a standalone device.
I see now. I didn’t do my proper homework, all I need in order to “add ADAT inputs” is a mic pre amp unit that has ADAT clocking ability, not an entire separate interface?

I think the UMC1820 can be run as a standalone expander for the Quantum 2626. You'll probably have to run your system at 96 kHz sample rate or lower. You'll have to determine which device is the clocking master and which is the slave. The master device will need its output connected to the slave device, even if the signal is going the other way. I suspect that the ADAT inputs on the 2626 will show up as channels 9-16, or 11-18 if the SPDIF is assigned to 9-10.

**Update** It appears I can create an aggregate device using audio/midi setup, then I can route the inputs from the Behringer to the main outputs in studio one. I can record audio and it is synced using one Toslink cable going OUT from the Quantum 2626 IN to the Behringer. It’s not quite digital ADAT like I thought it would be, but I gain my 8 inputs I was searching for. Thank you both for the responses as it got me thinking and trying different things to arrive here!

Just be aware that to aggregate devices that aren't clocked together the audio from the slaved devices needs to be resampled. Maybe you should try clocking the UMC1820 from the 2626.

Also, I wonder if the record alignment might be slightly different between them. I'd try splitting a signal to both interfaces, recording them to separate tracks and see if they line up perfectly or are slightly offset.

Just be aware that to aggregate devices that aren't clocked together the audio from the slaved devices needs to be resampled. Maybe you should try clocking the UMC1820 from the 2626.

Also, I wonder if the record alignment might be slightly different between them. I'd try splitting a signal to both interfaces, recording them to separate tracks and see if they line up perfectly or are slightly offset.
They are clocked at 48K via the toslink cable. I’m going out of the quantum 2626 to the umc1820. The only thing left for me to do is record a few things and see how they line up on the grid. Hopefully I’ve found a workable solution so I don’t have to return the umc.

They are clocked at 48K via the toslink cable. I’m going out of the quantum 2626 to the umc1820. The only thing left for me to do is record a few things and see how they line up on the grid. Hopefully I’ve found a workable solution so I don’t have to return the umc.
Still think you'd be better off with something like the ADA8200 into the 2626. Creating the aggregate device you have different latencies and the low latency of the 2626 by itself with the additional optical inputs would be my preference. In fact, I am planning the same set up now that I'm done with the rest of my studio upgrades.

Still think you'd be better off with something like the ADA8200 into the 2626. Creating the aggregate device you have different latencies and the low latency of the 2626 by itself with the additional optical inputs would be my preference. In fact, I am planning the same set up now that I'm done with the rest of my studio upgrades.
I actually agree. Now that I know what I know, I’ll probably go that route. I’m a Nube at multi track recording. I’m in the game now tho, thanks for the sage counsel!

Back