Quantizing Audio Hit Points to the Rhythm of a MIDI File, with Very Complex Rhythms

cerebrate42

Hi there,

I've been having some trouble with quantization, and couldn't find a question like this on any forum.

I'm recording music that's incredibly complex rhythmically, and, when doing polymetrical stuff in 13/16, 15/16, 17/16, etc., recorded guitar and bass parts have to be absolutely spot on. However, I've been going in and doing all the fine editing manually... and it's getting old veeeery quickly.

First and foremost then, I suppose I should ask, for producing "djent" bands (e.g., Meshuggah, Periphery, Animals As Leaders, TesseracT, etc.), what's the "best" approach for dealing with these rhythms? NO ONE, not even Thordendal, plays these rhythms straight up perfectly. It's not humanly possible.
So, what I'm asking is, production-wise, what's the best way to approach this?

This brings me to my original question:
I have MIDI parts (i.e., bass drum) programmed with the exact rhythms that I'm recording on guitar and bass. Can I somehow make these bass drum MIDI parts into a groove, which I then use to quantize/audiowarp my recorded guitar and bass parts?
I'm using Cubase 5.
I read the entire The Sample Editor chapter (16), but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!
Ben

Back