Quality of MOTU 8pre preamps?

magic_joel

I'm seriously considering spending more than i planned on my home studio setup and am thinking of getting the MOTU 8pre instead of the firepod, but how do the preamps compare? because since ill be spending more on things i couldnt really afford to buy preamps if the ones on the motu were poor, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

I would say the 8pre has better preamps over the firepod. I have a firepod and it does what I need it to.

Really? from what i've read i'd found different, i just didnt want to have to spend loads on preamps since all my money would be pretty much gone after buying this and monitors, although at some point i will get good a vocal pre, it'd be wonderful if they were equal too or better than though :)

The usual complaint is that Motu's pres are 'too clean' and 'too neutral'.

I've got an 828mkII (same guts are in all the Motu boxes) and never had any reason to complain.

If you want 'character' you can always plug in a boutique pre directly into the inputs and have at it.....

Thanks for the info, in the future if i wanted to expand my setup, what could be used to link with the MOTU 8pre at a reasonable price to gain more inputs?

You can hook up anything that uses ADAT lightpipe for connectivity. From a Behringer to an Apogee converter.

I can say firmly that the MOTU pres are good enough that if your recording quality is bad, its not the MOTU pres fault.

Back