"Quad" cables

minimal me

Do "quad" cables have the same applications as regular mic cables, or are they made for something else entirely?

More specifically, what's the practical difference, in terms of home recording, between Mogami Neglex balanced (2549) and Mogami Neglex Quad (2534)?

MemoGtr said:

I think "minimal me" was referrring to the difference between regular mic cables (XLR to XLR, not the XLR to TRS one in the musicians friend link above) and mic cables that are designated "quad" by Mogami. My understanding is that all XLR cables are inherently balanced, so to say balanced XLR is a little redundant. Anyway, after reading the description on MF, I think it sounds like the "quad" cable uses the same sort of engineering Blue employs in its Kiwi cable, with 4-conductor wires wrapped around each other instead of just one-conductor wires, which supposedly reduces interference, signal loss, etc. as compared to your standard vanilla mic cable.

I own a Kiwi. Does it make a difference? (a.k.a. is it worth the extra money?) I'm not sure.

minimal me said:
$5 here and there adds up.

I will probably go for the quads, though.

True, but perhaps what $5 here and there adds up to in the end is a higher quality recording! Maybe one cable won't make a difference, but if you spend a little extra on each piece of gear, it surely pays off in the long run! (assuming you know how to use it ;) )

Back