Q about midi hardware monitoring

altitude909

Best Advice Ever: RTFM
Gentlemen,
I am in the midst of doing some pretty in depth comparisons of midi timing of various USB interfaces on different platforms and have a some questions about the midi implementation in Reaper.

My tests involve using an externally clocked custom built device for measuring latency and jitter that sends a stream of midi messages to a midi in and measures their round trip time through the midi out via a midi track in the program. The issue I have with reaper is that the only method I have found to go through the program is to set up a track with the midi in and midi out set accordingly and then check the "monitor when recording" option. This however is giving me a horrendous amount of latency (10x more than other programs) and cannot seem to find any other way to do this. In other programs, I do not need to arm the track to monitor the midi signal so I suspect arming the track is causing problems. I can record normally. Any help is appreciated.

I am not totally enamoured with Reaper's midi functionality. And in particular, having to arm a track to hear the midi.

The process I follow is:

Arm the track
Select the midi device for input (in my case, keyboard controller)
Select the midi device for output (in my case, a roland)
Click 'recording monitoring on'

When I do this, I can hear some latency, but it is only just there, and not enough to cause problems.

I have noticed huge latency problems if I use the Microsoft wavetable as an output, but that is also the case with Logic.

This doesn't shed much light on your problem, I'm afraid.

Damn, just asked you the same damn question in another thread. thnx for the help though, I was able to get some basic benchmark numbers and it was REALLY bad, so bad that I thought it was some I was doing wrong (it was 3-4 worse than Ableton, which is notoriously bad)

Back