Putting up Foam in a Crowded Room..?

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hi Guys, (please excuse the lengthy post)

I came across a great deal on 4 fairly large sheets of 2" Inch Foam yesterday.

The Dimensions are:
2 pieces are 61" x 45"
2 pieces are 48" x 39"

Anyway, my problem is that I don't have much bare wallspace due to the fact that I actually record in my bedroom and so I have all the type of crap a bedroom would have. I've attached a layout of my room I made up off the top of my head. I have foam currently behind my monitors so that's a plus,

But here are my issues:

1) I would like to put foam parrallel to where the monitors point which would be above my bed on one side of the room which I can cover, however on the apposite end where my Rack and other PC is located, I have a shelf attached to the wall above, so that wall is pretty much covered... and I would like to keep some sort of symetry with the foam instead of just having foam in random spots across the room.

2) I was thinking on the opposite wall of the monitors on the long end, but my dressers are stacked high so I don't have much wallspace there either.

So here are my questions:

1) Should I cover the windows? Would that make a decent impact on acoustics?

2) Howbout covering some bare wallspace from upper wall to ceiling? Kind of like the way you would mount basstraps... would that help acoustics at all?

3) Howbout the ceiling itself? I could hook some onto the ceiling kind of like a floating cloud (if that's the correct terminology).

All in all, I want to do what will give me the best results without having my room look like it had a fight with a foam monster. It's hard enough to sell my bedroom studio to clients as it is :rolleyes:

Any and all input is welcome, thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• SETUP.jpg
    SETUP.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 112
Why not move some things about if possible? Make the bedroom one half and the studio tho other. Have you got any actual pics of the room so we can see how high everything is stacked and hav a better understand of size etc?

The foam you talk about, is it Polystyrene? If so, not the best for acoustic treatment of a room, rigid fiberglass is a better alternative, however if you have a read in this Studio Building and Display Forum you will find some very useful info on this topic which has been discussed recently. :)

I'd agree on the fiberglass or acoustical cotton instead of foam. It can be covered and look very nice and IMO is more effective per inch thickness than pretty much any foam.

And, you might find that you'll have an easier time selling the room to customers if they see that you've paid attention to the room acoustics.

bpape said:
I'd agree on the fiberglass or acoustical cotton instead of foam. It can be covered and look very nice and IMO is more effective per inch thickness than pretty much any foam.

And, you might find that you'll have an easier time selling the room to customers if they see that you've paid attention to the room acoustics.
Hi guys, thanks for the responses (finally!.. lol) Actually I been around the board long enough to know rigid fiberglass is the best way to go, but like I mentioned I got a REALLY good deal on the foam and therefore something is better than nothing. (or maybe not?) Anyways, I had way too much of the crap laying around in my room so I decided to put it up. And I must say it did help. I instantly heard a better bass response, and vocals seemed to jump out at me alot more. I did end up putting the foam up in some really Asymetrical places.. =0/ But F it.. still helps.. ::sigh:: Can't wait till I get a whole room JUST for my studio. :rolleyes:

Back