Putting together a recording box

msblaze

i'm putting together a recording box for a friend. its going to run adobe audition, Nero, Cakewalk Music maker & fruity loops 6, what would be some good parts to throw together, he is a bass, guitar player, so it would not be in a studio or anything, he's just wanting to mess around in his spare time. so far i've got a 1ghz AMD with 512mb of ram, what do you think of that??

Dr Biscuits said:
Do you have to use the 1Ghz AMD?

well i already have it, it was my ols recording pc. its gota 160gb hard drive also, and how much would somthing like this be worth? all setup to record? , not a special sound card though...

Unfortunately, not too much... computers lose their value faster than cars - I guess you'd be more charging for your time to set it up, but you'll have problems running any current software like Sonar or ProTools on that box as is, especially without a decent soundcard....

Also depends heavily on what kind of AMD it is. If its a first gen. athlon then you could probably run a little bit, but will be very limited on tracks, and even more so on plug-ins. If its like a duron or something like that, forget it.

My box, which I'm upgrading as soon as possible, is a 1.4 ghz athlon thunderbird (can you say old?), 768 mb ram, 2 80 gb hd's. I can run Cubase SX 2/3 with quite a few plugins, BFD drums, Cool Edit, etc. with no real problems. The only problem I've had is that I have to run BFD in 16 bit mode because I don't have quite enough ram for 24 bit mode (1 gb recommended).

It does a good job but I'm looking to hookup some edrums to my box for BFD and record some live jams with guitar and bass plugins running, hence the reason for upgrading.

I think the box you mentioned would be fine for messing around with. It's sure not worth much though.

Back