Putting the pieces together

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I just tripped across a song I wrote 6 years ago which I never recorded. Trouble is, I didn't document the structure very well and I didn't put the chords with the lyrics. So I've got Verses and choruses and what might be a bridge on 3 sides of 2 sheets of paper, then the 4th side has more lyrics which I can't recall if I discarded or used them.

I'm going to have to reconstruct this as best I can, I recall the melody and the guitars I heard in my head when I started this so. . . it's got a Country swing thing going on with a walking bass line. Here we go . . .

I ran across some lyrics that I wrote, probably at least 10 years ago. I had the chords written above the lyrics, but don't remember what the melody was. They were in a file on a flash drive with old work data. It was something that I did while on one of my many trips. I vaguely remember what sparked the song, I was watching an old guy playing with his granddaughter on a bench, and that made me think about how things are passed down over generations.

One day I need to set up the mics and try to put it together.

I have so many fragments of songs and snippets of instrument lines, vocal melodies, harmonies and backing vocal ideas, some going back to the 90s and early to mid-2000s. Some I've not heard in years. When I have listened to some of them or pulled some out to complete a particular song that I might have a couple of instrument parts to already recorded, sometimes it's very clear what I was aiming at. But many other times, I haven't got a clue how something was supposed to fit. I never write the music down, I've always hummed it into a dictaphone. Very often what I've ended up with has been more or less a new piece because I can't recall how the parts are supposed to fit.

I have mostly a sh*t ton of lyrical bits, with a few musical ideas in my "obsolete file". Often comes in handy though, when I'm out of inspiration!

Back