putting it all together?

tremblayj

so I just got my first set of studio monitors and I am having problems figuring out how to hook them up properly.
The gear that i have is:
computer
delta 44 sound card
behringer mx 802 A mixer
Art Pro Channel
M-audio BX5A deluxe monitors
and a couple condenser and dynamic mics with all my other musical instruments.

So to date i have just always plugged my mics into the pre-amp and then into the delta which gets the signal to my software (reaper).
When I wanted to record my voice over the guitar i would just plug in my headphones to my receiver and it worked.

Well now that i have studio monitors i am not using the receiver with the computer anymore and figure i could use the mixer again.
My goal is to be able to control the volume and monitor what i am recording all throught the mixer.
Let me know if this is possible with this mixer and if so how?
I have read many different threads and one informative link to tweakheadz http://tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm but am still confused. I am looking for the two way commiunication basically.
thanks for the help

I use a Delta 1010LT and it comes with a control panel that works great.

You might check to see if you can use that as I think all the Delta stuff uses it(?). You can use outputs 1 & 2 to monitor the built-in monitor mixer, and I use it to solve all the monitoring problems I have - it works really well, zero latency. I run it to a Sony stereo receiver I use to power headphones. You can hear what you're recording and adjust all the tracks in a custom way.

If it has the Delta Control Panel, I don't see why you couldn't do what I do and run ch 1 & 2 to your mixer.

so assuming there is only one control panel than i already use it.
I still don;t quite understand how to hook everything up tho. I was reading somewhere that having it go between the card and mixer would eliminate and software latency issues but if you are able to do it then i would just as soon go that route.
i was just thinking of the convenience of plugging my headphones into the mixer and adjusting the volume all from there. I just don;t know what inputs to use on my mixer (once again if its possible). Like the outs from the delta would go to what?

Attachments

• table_behringer3.jpg
    table_behringer3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
Install the PCI Card into your computers Motherboard. Next, connect the Breakout box to the PCI card. Plug the main out (L) of your mixer to input 1 on your breakout box. Plug Main out (R) of your mixer to input on your breakout box. Plug the output(s) of your Art Pro Chanel into the input(s) of your breakout box. Next, Connect the outputs of your breakout box to the inputs of your monitors. last, connect microphones and instruments via XLR or 1/4" balanced or unbalanced cables accordingly.

Good Luck.

so as of right now i have all of that only without the mixer. Now adding the mixer in that fashion would just add the extra few channels with nothing else right? since there is nothing coming out of the break out box to the mixer i can't use it to plug in my headphones to use while recording (which leaves me with no place for the headphones).
and i was also thinking that by putting the studio monitors to the mixer i could control them also but not sure if that was a good idea and should just leave them and control them via the software (although it would be nice to have an actual knob)
thanks for the help

so assuming there is only one control panel than i already use it...

Here's what the control panel looks like:
DCP.jpg

If you haven't accessed it, if your card uses it, it will not monitor like you want to until you do.

I think that by using that control panel you could cover pretty much any monitoring situation, and there's no latency.

Plug the outputs 1and2 from the delta to linein5&6 plaug monitors to mainouts.
plug mic into channel one. plug channel1 input to auxout1. turn up aux1 on channel 1 till you see the signal come in on the software.
now plug the headphones to the mixer yay!

ok so i do have that control pannel ( a little different as i have less ins)
now i am getting the impression that i don;t need my mixer at all unless i want more than one channel on top of my strip? right? \
right now the only thing i have plugged into the outs are the studio monitors so how do i get the headphones into use? (this is really the main question. i want to record vocals and such while listening the the other instruments without bleed)
also while we are on the topic, how does monitoring work with this control panel while recording? right now i put it to monitor mixer in the patchbay tab. do i just leave it like that and figure out how it works in reaper.

Attachments

• 25ztmwn.jpg
    25ztmwn.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm on a Delta 1010LT on a Mac, that's why my control panel looked different.

That control panel operates at 32bit so it's better than your mixer most likely.

One thing to note with the Delta units is that you can use either, or both outs 1&2 and S/PDIF out to monitor all your tracks. I use 1 & 2, they go to my amp and headphone amp. You could use your mixer for that maybe.

If you go to the top tabs on the control panel, and hit "Patch Bay", and then in the 1st column where it says "Analog Out 1/2", below that check "Monitor Mixer". Then select the Monitor Mixer tab at the top, you can then scroll through all your inputs and outputs and make a custom mix.

Also, when you quit the Delta Control Panel it stores the settings as they were when you quit. As long as you are running any program that could use the Delta Card, that control panel is running and it's settings are active. It doesn't have to be "on" or visible to be working.

Back