Putting a 58 grill on a 57?

dmc777

Is this possible to do? I have a 57 and was thinking about purchasing the grill for vocal use on my next project.

just leave it the way it is and use a pop filter....I do it all the time....no reason to add the grill.

thajeremy said:
just leave it the way it is and use a pop filter....I do it all the time....no reason to add the grill.

What he said. Shure makes a foam wind screen that attaches neatly to a 57 if that's of interest. I use them when playing out.

The grill of a 58 won't fit on a 57. The body of the mic is a little different and a 57 won't have the threads to screw it on.

When everyone tells you that the 57 and 58 are the same mic, they are talking about the capsule and innards of the mic. The body is completely different.

Farview said:
When everyone tells you that the 57 and 58 are the same mic, they are talking about the capsule and innards of the mic. The body is completely different.

Whilst the capsules are similar, they most definitely are not the same.

If you really wanted to have a 57 that looks like a 58 get a 58's body and try putting the capsule into the body. Not worth the hassle I don't think.

Use the foam windshields would be my advice.

pezking said:
Whilst the capsules are similar, they most definitely are not the same.
The motor, the thing doing the work is the same. The peice of plastic that mates it to the body of the mic is not. (for obvious reasons) It's the same guts.

Back