Purely for vocals.. SM57 or SM58?

PizzImperfect

Afternoon all,

Now I know there is a similar thread on here already, but he was looking for which one can record his instruments too.
From a purely vocal standpoint.. would you vote Shure SM57 or SM58?

Instrument wise.. at most I may record an acoustic guitar with it..

Thanks!

Oh and just so you know I have a Focusrite Sapphire 6 interface w/built in pre-amp.. I've read the pre-amp can make a difference..

Well, these are basically the same mic! The only difference is the ball-screen on the 58. It really just comes down to taste ;)

I prefer 57s! They're underrated for vocals and acoustic!

Ahh... I know :)
It's price point, and general trust in the name Shure that's draws me in.
I've heard they're both durable too.
If you do have any recommendations around the same prices please say :)
However, I am having a right dilemma here.. I've leaning towards the sm57.. but i'm not sure why!?
So many people said they pull out the 57 for so many things...

I'd go 57. It can be used for just about anything. Guitar Cabs, Vocals, Snare (top or bottom). Definitely a great workhorse mic which can be had for 99$ new or 50-60$ used.

I'd go 57. It can be used for just about anything. Guitar Cabs, Vocals, Snare (top or bottom). Definitely a great workhorse mic which can be had for 99$ new or 50-60$ used.

That's right look for them used and you'll come up with a couple for the price of one new! ;)

I went for the 57 :) Even though I intend to use it for vocals.. It's handy to know I can apply it to almost anything, as everybody has told me. I'll no doubt end up buying a 58 anyway, I feel this ridiculous urge to fill a glass cabinet with microphones...

Thanks all!

Unless you also use the same microphones for live work, you really should branch out in your short list. The SM57/58 is a 40 year old design and there are now much better mics on the market--even from Shure if, for whatever reason, you're wedded to that name.

Yes, the 57 is a workhorse and I'm sure you'll find other uses for it--but it wouldn't even hit my top ten list of mics, much less the only one I'd buy initially. As for the SM58--I have some in my kit for live work when I can't persuade a client to try something else--but I've been thanked on many occasions for introducing singers to a better sound.

Sorry to rain on your parade and all that, but...

Bob

Next month i'm investing in an se2200a I reckon.. I love the look and after playing with a friends it seems to sit great with my voice.. I didn't even feel the need to touch an EQ.. that has to be good.

And then i'll need a live mic.. Was gonna shoot straight for the sm58 but i'll no doubt come back and ask again after what bob said now!

Thanks

Live microphone ..... Pizz you may want to check out the EV N/D767a ~;)~ A very good and outstanding live vocal microphone! ☼:cool:

Live microphone...for dynamic, check the Audix range....OM5 or OM6 for normal vocalists depending on the pattern you want or the OM7 if you have somebody with a lot of stage wash. Once you've heard an OM 5 or 6 you'll never want to go back to an SM58.

Bob

Back