Punky effort, keeper take or not?

LemonTree

Suck 'em and see!
Live rehersal recording of my own band tonight. We were looking to get the drums n bass down, got scratch guitars n vocals too that will be replaced but is the drums and bass good enough to keep? or just the drums even? I've been under the headphones the last few hours so this will probably sound terrible balance & eq wise. What about the drum n bass performance to build the rest of the song on? There's hihats all over the vocal track which fucks things up a bit but apart from that I'm thinking this is maybe good enough to build on. Our singer missed a few words due to lack of breath in the last verse so I copied n pasted from the first verse to fill in the holes. I'll add I just purchased a Tech 21 Sansamp bass driver DI which I'm still searching for the right tone from with the bass, I'd like to hear how you all think this stands up as a bass tone. I should also probably add there is no lead guitar as yet which kinda explains the big hole at 1:43 - 2:06/

Secong song on the page.....my account ran out for deep linking hifi streams. Where we used to play 2nd song on the page.

equipment list on request.

Thoughts?

cheers,

Alex.

Last edited:
Song is very good, but the mix needs some work.
I think for this kind of style you need a wall of sound of guitars , type Green Day. The guitar tone IMO is still not there, it sounds a bit muffled to me. And you have just one guitar on one side (or I'm deaf in one ear....:D). Bass tone isn't bad (I use the Sansamp too), it could take a bit more low end. Drums lack meat and need to really drive the thing. The voice is a bit too forward in the mix. All stuff that you can fix though and in the end, you have to be happy with it. Keep working at it!

Joey :):)

I think the drums and bass are definitely good enough to build on. Just watch out for the kick getting lost under the bass.

Good song LT. I thought the vox were a little down in the mud so to speak although very well performed. I boosted a couple dB at 1K and 1 dB at 4K and the whole mix brightened up a lot. Of course, I'm on cans, so I may be off, but you might like to try it.

Wig:)

Hell fucking yes the drums are good enough. I think the bass is totally fine too, actually.

Jesus, I'd be pretty happy with the vocal take, HA!!!

I liked the song, too. Keep it punk...mix it as is!!!

Back