Punk rock project

jmxdrummer

:mad:

Need to get some constructive criticism. I am not very happy with my mixes, especially the song "To Protect and Serve".

the songs are posted on Myspace.

www.myspace.com/johnnydiablopunx

thanks

-I used Sonar 4, and used Wavelab w/ waves L2 , Nomad Factory Tube/Tape Warmer and EQ and Compressor.

which version of protect and serve are you talking about?

this is just an opinion - but i enjoy the recordings except for one thing on the first two - the kick sound. is that mic'd, or sampled? For me, anyway, it seems overly "metal" aggressive tonality for the style of music. It takes away from it, for me, at least.

like i said - just one guys opinion.

thanks for the feedback. The kick is a blend of both my bass drum and a drumagog kick sample. I have been considering removing the sample.

thanks again

The kick sound is cool but not for this song. Good catch with the GW Bush in the background, left wing pussy punks will love it!!!

PS. the second song will be a hit single for sure!!!

That kick sound is definately too clicky for these particular songs. Sounds like there's too much beater, may be the sample though. The vocals at times remind me a little of Jello Biafra. Not overly so, but a little. I think that the mix as a whole lacks some cohesion. I almost feel like I'm listening to it through a funnel. The drums are a little overpowering to me. Especially that kick drum, which is quite distracting. I would like to hear a little more from the bass guitar.

Sorry if that sounds rude or anything, just thoughts.

That kick sound is definately too clicky for these particular songs. Sounds like there's too much beater, may be the sample though. The vocals at times remind me a little of Jello Biafra. Not overly so, but a little. I think that the mix as a whole lacks some cohesion. I almost feel like I'm listening to it through a funnel. The drums are a little overpowering to me. Especially that kick drum, which is quite distracting. I would like to hear a little more from the bass guitar.

Sorry if that sounds rude or anything, just thoughts.
Van Greco, it wasn't rude sounding at all. Thanks for the feedback. I am currently remixing the song. I got rid of the kick drum sample. I also turned down the drums a tad. I will look into the bass guitar. The vocals were definitely influenced by Jello (Dead Kennedys). How did the guitars sound? I also re-EQed the instruments and rolled off more of the low end to hopefully make the mix a little cleaner.
Does the song need more EQ in the high frequencies?

thanks again

peace

Both songs sound like typical trashy 80's hardcore punk. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I used to listen to tons of almost low-fi punk stuff back in the 80's. These mixes don't sound any worse than The Exploited's best efforts. Definitely have a DK kind of feel. If you're trying to sound "commercial" the mixes need lots of help. If you're trying for the hard-edge sloppy punk vibe, you nailed it.

The trashy feel is pretty good. On top of what they said, I personally think the vocals could fit in the mix a little better. A bit boxy and too "into the mix" if that makes sense. Like the punky sound though, keep workin at it ;)

Both songs sound like typical trashy 80's hardcore punk. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I used to listen to tons of almost low-fi punk stuff back in the 80's. These mixes don't sound any worse than The Exploited's best efforts. Definitely have a DK kind of feel. If you're trying to sound "commercial" the mixes need lots of help. If you're trying for the hard-edge sloppy punk vibe, you nailed it.

thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely not going for a commercial sound. That goes against the whole punk (DIY) feel. But I am trying to get everything balance and a bit cleaner.

The trashy feel is pretty good. On top of what they said, I personally think the vocals could fit in the mix a little better. A bit boxy and too "into the mix" if that makes sense. Like the punky sound though, keep workin at it ;)

thanks, I will work on the vocals.

peace

Back