Punching In on Cubase

prometheuswire

What is the best way to punch in on Cubase Vst if I am recording Analog? I get a pop when I try to just press record. Should I use the locators? If so, I thought they were used only for Midi.

Thanks
Courtney

See Getting Started p118-120.
Rather than punching, though, I always find it easier to just record over a section and then trim off anything I don't want after the fact. It allows you to be much more precise at your leisure. You can do this on the same track, and when you open the audio editor, each take (or part thereof) will be displayed in its own lane. (assuming you have "view by output" UNchecked)

In order to avoid any clicks or anything, you might have to open the track up and move the little handles a wee bit one way or the other to find the right spot for the re-done section of the track to take over or stop. (see pg 232-242, Getting Started) You might also want to investigate the crossfade options to eliminate any clicks that might happen.

Chris

BTW - If you're using Cubase to record, you're recording in digital. Analog is recording to magnetic tape. I think you meant recording "audio" as opposed to midi.

I'm having the same problem...

with clicks and have been trying to use the crossfade with varying success. Whenever I patch audio segments together by placing them in different lanes, I get clicks. Is this normal? Any advice on how to use the crossfade?

Prometheus, you can punch in by setting this option on your transport bar. You have to set your endpoints, punch the begin and end bar on the transport bar to activate. Start your playback before the punch in point and press play. When it gets to the selected segment, you'll see the record light activated and recording will start. Once you figure this out, its easy. I'm still getting those pops sometimes, though.

Back