punch-in records a click on my yamaha mt8x 8 track

zphillips

just got an mt8x. it's great, but when I punch in there is an audible click almost all the time. the click is not very loud, but it is jarring enough to make the punch-in sound obvious. I like to build recordings by punching in on multiple tracks, so this makes for a mess.

is there a component that might be the culprit? or am I stuck with these clicks?

Not many cassette multitracks that I know of were made that one could say had seamless punch-in. I’ve owned a couple Tascam portastudios that the punch-in/punch-out was virtually undetectable unless you isolated a channel, cranked it up and listened for the slightest change. Not sure about the MT8X. I don’t how well it was designed in that regard. However, there are a couple very important tips for punch-in generally speaking no matter what kind of tape deck.

The first is the benefit of demagnetizing (degaussing) the tape path. Any machine where this has been neglected can see an increase in popping and static type noises when the record circuit is engaged.

The other point has to do with punch-in technique. Even with a deck that is fairly quiet when punching in, the preferred technique in pop music (no pun) is to punch in on the beat of the kick drum to mask any noise. If some other type of music with low or no drums you can usually find a place to punch in where the attack of another instrument masks any popping.

The later generation decks I still own, whether cassette or open-reel, are virtually pop-free during punch-in, but I developed the habit of punching in on the beat from my early days, so I still do it that way.

yeah, i'm sometimes amazed at how well the Tascam machines punch in - maybe the 7.5ips speed on the 388 helps - is there that little gap between the heads that would not be erasing before the record that makes for a smooth transition? I'm just imagining how perhaps that's like a mini crossfade or something. last thing i remember was a reed organ, long sustained notes: i couldn't hear it even soloed - seamless illusion of continuity.

I was at a studio the other day that said they wished they had their old tascam deck back because their otari 8-track gave pops on the punches. this surprised me as that Otari looked pretty.... um.. solid. it was old, but i'm sure they kept up on demagging - i wonder what else would cause something like that....?

Back