Punch in out MR-8 question

gospel

Here is the scenario. I have recorded the lead vocal on a song. Now I want to go back and record the harmony parts on the chorus. Instead of going back and playing the whole song again, how do I just play back the parts where I want to record the harmonies? Also, will this still sync up right when I transfer the tracks to PC?

I can help you with this one......veteran puncher inner I am! The easiest way I've found to do it is while you're listening to the song, when the part comes up where you want to punch in push "store" and "locate A/IN", then when it gets to the part where you want to end your recording push "store" and "locate B/OUT". Give yourself some room for sustain.....nothing worse than having a note cut off mid-sustain.
Then when you go to record your part, just push A/IN which will locate you where you want to start recording. I always rewind a few bars past that to let me hear what's going on prior to the record button going full red.
Next, you push "auto punch" before you push "record" and "play". This will punch in automatically where you located, and automatically punch out as well. The record button will flash until it punches in, then it will go full red while recording.
Another thing you might be interested to know...there's a way you can push the "record" and "play" buttons that will allow you to hear what you already have on the track you are recording on (learned by re-doing parts, being the veteran screwer upper I am).....pushing one then the other works two different ways, although I can't remember which is which....it won't take long to figure it out though.Good luck!

bd

Thanks. Another question. Would it also work and sync if I just started recording the harmonies on the chorus by manually forwarding to the proper place and then hit record?

Yes it would, but I would think that method would be kind of unhandy. It's pretty easy to do the punch-in thing, plus it's pre-located in case you want to re-take it. You simply "erase part"(making sure the proper track is highlighted, you don't want to delete part of a track you're not working on), "delete unused", and re-take.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
....there's a way you can push the "record" and "play" buttons that will allow you to hear what you already have on the track you are recording on (learned by re-doing parts, being the veteran screwer upper I am).....pushing one then the other works two different ways, although I can't remember which is which....it won't take long to figure it out though.Good luck!

bd

When you hit loc a and then rewind back a couple of bars, tap record button twice and on the second tap, hold it down and hit play with your other finger to begin play back up to your punch in part so you can hear your track up to that part of punch in.

I also rely heavily on that function.

clif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bdbdbuck
....there's a way you can push the "record" and "play" buttons that will allow you to hear what you already have on the track you are recording on (learned by re-doing parts, being the veteran screwer upper I am).....pushing one then the other works two different ways, although I can't remember which is which....it won't take long to figure it out though.Good luck!

bd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you hit loc a and then rewind back a couple of bars, tap record button twice and on the second tap, hold it down and hit play with your other finger to begin play back up to your punch in part so you can hear your track up to that part of punch in.

I also rely heavily on that function.

clif

I missed this thread the first time around. Nice job guys, I think I'll have to try this one out this evening.

Fan-freaking-tastic

Who need that manual! That was very easy to understand, unlike manuals. Why, you should write a manual...!

Thank you for your wisdom, oh great-and-most-knowing yoda!

Oh.................you know not the headaches the great yoda got while learning that stuff! I gotta say that clif is closest to being the yoda, or morindae or mrx. It seems to come pretty easy to those guys. Me...................the headaches.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
I gotta say that clif is closest to being the yoda, or morindae or mrx..

bd

"Mind what you have learned...save you it can.."-yoda

"Mind what MRX says about the MR8...save you headache it can..."-clif

Back