Publishing online - File conversion

iancl

Hey, for saving as an mp3 / m4a-acc / lame mp3, what program should I use to get the best results, no worries about time or anything of course.

I am worried about file size, and will be writing at 128kbps.

Just would like some recommendations on what file type to use and what program.

I've always done mp3's until now, on CDex. But abnormalities in the program have me thinking there must be better ones available.

iancl said:
I've always done mp3's until now, on CDex. But abnormalities in the program have me thinking there must be better ones available.

What abnormalties? I've used CDeX for along time now and no problems.

It's not the program you use, it's the encoder that the program uses. Using the LAME encoder with CDeX, is the same as using LAME with any other program.

I would suggest CDeX using the LAME encoder, at 128KBPS. Although, if you can, I would suggest at least 192KBPS. I notice a huge quality difference between 128 and 192.

by the way, Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I didn't really know where to put it!

A second question:
I'm saving as an mp3 from a .wav, but would this give a lower quality result than if I saved directly to an mp3 (I'm using SONAR).

Recording in 16 bit 44.1, and that's the same as the .wav, but I'm thinking with the multiple tracks and the different gains/volumes and whathaveyou, there may be a slight loss of quality?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ian

danny.guitar said:
What abnormalties? I've used CDeX for along time now and no problems.

It's not the program you use, it's the encoder that the program uses. Using the LAME encoder with CDeX, is the same as using LAME with any other program.

I would suggest CDeX using the LAME encoder, at 128KBPS. Although, if you can, I would suggest at least 192KBPS. I notice a huge quality difference between 128 and 192.

Thanks for the two replies so far guys, too fast!!!

And yes, I had thought of that, and maybe I was using a crap encoder with it. I just downloaded CDex a long time ago, and have never known if it is meant to be reliable.

Are the LAME and the Fraunhofer both free?

iancl said:
Are the LAME and the Fraunhofer both free?

Lame is free (I don't like it, so to me, you get what you pay for!), but last I heard, you have to pay for the Fraunhofer codec. Fraunhofer is the company that created mp3's, so really, they have the most experience in this whole thing. I think their codec reflects that.

Back