PT session from another studio not loading audio

wreckd504

I got a session from another studio to do some overdubs on, and when I loaded the session it couldn't locate the audio...no problem happened a million times, i'll just automatically relink. Left it for 20 mins, and came back and the audio was still being "relinked". 2 hours later, its still trying to find the audio. My recording drive is 300gb and system is 80gb, but previously its taken a few minutes tops. When I tried to manually relink the drive letter wasn't available to browse to the location of the files either.

Is there any other methods to get the audio in the session to load...im stumped.

How did you get the session home? Did you put it on your recording drive, burn to cd or what?

Is there any other methods to get the audio in the session to load...im stumped.

a) are you 100% sure the audio is on your drive?
b) have you used this drive previously with PT? Check that you've got the correct PT permissions as well as correct formatting
c) is both pro tools and your computer correctly recognising the HD?
d) try ditching the database on the HD..and repeat!

Session was uploaded to my ftp

a)yup, i can play the wav files through other apps. However something is definately up, when I drag one of wavs into tools, it plays, but everything seems really slow. It takes about 5 mins to get a 3 min wav file in. They are 24/48
b)yep, i can load other sessions on the same drive
c)yep
d)good idea will do

man this is starting to get a bit annoying. I've haven't recorded many 24/48 sessions i usually work with 24/44.1 but that shouldn't matter. I don't think.

man this is starting to get a bit annoying. I've haven't recorded many 24/48 sessions i usually work with 24/44.1 but that shouldn't matter. I don't think.

It doesn't matter...don't look in that direction as a possible solution. The fact that you said this has happened "a million times" throws a bit of a red flag.

That said....

Open a new "blank session". Make sure you change your default 24/44.1 to 24/48 before you do so.

Once a blank session is open go to your Pro Tools File pull down menu and choose import. From there choose import session data. Once there select the Pro Tools icon from the previous problematic session. Double click on the Pro Tools icon. Make sure the following prompt is selected for import all tracks. Import.

What happens now??

Maybe you can make sure that your interface and project settings are 48 on that computer? I dont know!

It doesn't matter...don't look in that direction as a possible solution. The fact that you said this has happened "a million times" throws a bit of a red flag.

You don't have to relink audio files when opening a session from someone elses studio? I always get prompted, I thought it was because my session isn't stored in the same path theirs was.

Open a new "blank session". Make sure you change your default 24/44.1 to 24/48 before you do so.

Once a blank session is open go to your Pro Tools File pull down menu and choose import. From there choose import session data. Once there select the Pro Tools icon from the previous problematic session. Double click on the Pro Tools icon. Make sure the following prompt is selected for import all tracks. Import.

What happens now??

I did that, but will check exactly what happens when I get home. Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

You don't have to relink audio files when opening a session from someone elses studio? I always get prompted, I thought it was because my session isn't stored in the same path theirs was.

You should NOT have to re-link if your system is running clean (disk allocation).

Pro tools should merely tell you the original file path can not be found and if you would like a report.

I did that, but will check exactly what happens when I get home. Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

Just to be sure....read my post again and make sure you are follow completely through with the process. The results most likely will be dramatically good or dramatically bad. I'm not sure one would forget that type of outcome.

You should NOT have to re-link if your system is running clean (disk allocation).

Pro tools should merely tell you the original file path can not be found and if you would like a report.

Well then, thats a bit odd then. Happens everytime I get files from another studio, though usually it takes 1-2 mins to re-link.

Just to be sure....read my post again and make sure you are follow completely through with the process. The results most likely will be dramatically good or dramatically bad. I'm not sure one would forget that type of outcome.

One didn't forget the outcome when it was tried initially, just like to be thorough and exact in my description of an issue :)

When trying what you suggested the first thing that happens is a dialog box reporting some missing plug ins. I press no to the report.

The nex thing is a missing files dialog box. I choose automatically re-link. When looking in the pro tools task manager, it is searching for the files which it never finishes (left it over night).

Thanks for the help, I'm going to take it to a friends studio over the weekend and if it does the same thing i'm going to conclude something became corrupt in the transfer. I'll go to the studio it orginated from and copy it myself to a dvd.

Annoying

When trying what you suggested the first thing that happens is a dialog box reporting some missing plug ins. I press no to the report.

The nex thing is a missing files dialog box. I choose automatically re-link. When looking in the pro tools task manager, it is searching for the files which it never finishes (left it over night).

Thanks for the help, I'm going to take it to a friends studio over the weekend and if it does the same thing i'm going to conclude something became corrupt in the transfer. I'll go to the studio it orginated from and copy it myself to a dvd.

Annoying

Ok cool :)

Don't want to be a dead horse here but I'll add these comments for the road. The Pro Tools "can't find audio files-what would you like to do" prompt is a symptom of a problem. Nothing more. It is NOT a dialog box that should be considered an everyday part of a well running system.

Something else is wrong here. Have you pitched dara bases and preferences lately??

Make sure you're telling Pro Tools to look for the audio files in the correct location. It's a small oversight, but it won't be able to locate them if you don't point the search in the right direction.

That said....

What happens now??
I choose import audio? What is the difference?

Import "session data" is designed by Digi to be analogous to changing the real of tape in the old analog world. Albeit MUCH more flexible.

That is the "import session data" function allows the user to import an entire mixing console with NO audio yet including plug-ins, aux tracks and master faders. More importantly however is the faders will contain all previous settings. Your favorite eq starting point for example.

It also provides for import audio tied with the fader itself. Again with all the plug-in information.

Finally it provides the choice for import audio only.

All of this becomes extremely powerful when importing saved templates. Let's say you have a EZ drummer template setup and stored in a folder containing all you various template ideas. You create an EZ template where your aux tracks are pre routed to your midi tracks ect. In short everything is set up the way you'll always use EZ Drummer. Once saved as a template it only takes seconds to "import session data" into an existing session. Bam all tracks pre routed and ready to go.

This of course is not limited to midi scenarios. It just as easily could be a template for live drum sessions. All inputs and outputs pre routed. Any sub mix aux tracks pre created. In an instant you can import a complicated drum template into an existing session.

"Import Session Data" has been a real time saver for me. I became aware of it about 3 years ago and since than, boy have I used that function. SO much faster than created a new session for every new song.

Any update on how you're getting around the problem wreckd?

"Import Session Data" has been a real time saver for me. I became aware of it about 3 years ago and since than, boy have I used that function. SO much faster than created a new session for every new song.

I know right. I find it a lifesaver for the tedious task of setting up heavy softsynth environments. My day gig doesn't allow much time for fiddling about with coming up with proper cues for the moment at hand. With Omnisphere now completely routed and loaded as a template it affords me the chance to use my own cues instead of rent-a-music stuff.

Ending up getting them to mail me a dvd instead of trying to upload it to my FTP, and it worked fine. I don't usually have a problem with clients transferring files to me, but almost everyone else zips/rar's it first then uploads it. This client was struggling to work out how to do that, so I just gave up and they emailed me a disc.

hooray!

Back