PT problem... help!

michaelSHK

Alright, so I'm right in the middle of tracking a cover for my friend, and I ran into this problem the other day too.

I have two guitar tracks done, nothing is saved (yeah, huge mistake by me) and we're starting on vocals. We just did a vocal track, but a random piece of it ended up recording over the beginning of the first guitar track. I didn't have the guitar track record enabled... it just did it completely randomly. So now I probably have to re-track guitar, which isn't going to make my friend happy. Has anyone run into this before?

hmmm, ive never had this problem. The only thing I can think of is possibly the vocal track and guitar track were grouped? But I still don't think that would cause that to happen.

But no worries, you don't have to re-track any guitar. When you record, you're recording an audio file from the second you hit play till you hit stop, then the whole file is stored on your computer. Im sure you know that, I just like to get down to the dirty details. So anyways what I'm saying is the original guitar file is still on your computer, all the vocal recording over it did was split the audio region.

All I would do is take the crop tool and go the the beginning of the guitar track and click and drag to the left... then the guitar part should be there.

Alright, thanks, I've got it all sorted out... but.......

I'm really curious to see if anyone has an answer as to what actually happened.

The waveform didn't appear to change at all. The tracks weren't grouped, nothing was record enabled that should have been. The physical appearance didn't change at all. I actually didn't know where the sound was coming from until I solo'd each track. And the piece of the track that put itself over the guitar track was from way later in the song.

I just find it odd that it has happened twice, seemingly at random.

The waveform didn't appear to change at all. The tracks weren't grouped, nothing was record enabled that should have been. The physical appearance didn't change at all. I actually didn't know where the sound was coming from until I solo'd each track. And the piece of the track that put itself over the guitar track was from way later in the song.

I just find it odd that it has happened twice, seemingly at random.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but I suspect that it was a "user error" ;)

I think you may have inadvertently pressed some quick key command which did that for you - there are various quick keys which can do things like snap audio to the start of the session etc.

Its seems fairly unlikely that it was a Pro Tools error..

Back