Pt 10?

guitargirl7

I’m a newbie to the recording world, and just had the worst experience EVER with Pro Tools SE, so I returned it with the m-audio microphone it came with. Having some extra money on hand, I’m really thinking about buying Pro Tools 10. Considering my bad experience with Avid thus far, I would like a complete honest answer as to if PT 10 is worth purchasing.

If PT 10 includes having to go through my computer to fix any software, calling tech support for troubleshooting every other week, crazy white noise out of the clear blue, or any other outer worldly problems, I will throw in the towel with PT and Avid like I did with PT SE.

If it does not contain any of the above problems, and you say I should purchase the software, there are two versions of PT 10. There is PT 10 professional, and PT 10 student. There’s a huge price difference between the two, and I’ve heard mixed reviews about which one to buy.

Finally, I’m going to need a new mic. What is the best mic for the best price that you would you recommend?

Thank you!

I’m a newbie to the recording world, and just had the worst experience EVER with Pro Tools SE, so I returned it with the m-audio microphone it came with. Having some extra money on hand, I’m really thinking about buying Pro Tools 10. Considering my bad experience with Avid thus far, I would like a complete honest answer as to if PT 10 is worth purchasing.

If PT 10 includes having to go through my computer to fix any software, calling tech support for troubleshooting every other week, crazy white noise out of the clear blue, or any other outer worldly problems, I will throw in the towel with PT and Avid like I did with PT SE.

If it does not contain any of the above problems, and you say I should purchase the software, there are two versions of PT 10. There is PT 10 professional, and PT 10 student. There’s a huge price difference between the two, and I’ve heard mixed reviews about which one to buy.

Finally, I’m going to need a new mic. What is the best mic for the best price that you would you recommend?

Thank you!

Well, what exactly were your problems with Pro Tools?
Was it a specific issue, or were you just not into the overall "feel" of the program?

BTW, PT10 Pro. and Student should be the same. I know other educational versions of programs are just discounted to help out broke kids.
They are full fledged versions not limited in any way. Just cheaper. PT should be the same. But, I know that AVID has a strange way of doing things sometimes.

Also, you just planning on singing with the mic or are you looking to do other things as well?

BTW, PT10 Pro. and Student should be the same. I know other educational versions of programs are just discounted to help out broke kids.

Hey cool!! I always wondered about those "student/educational" versions...been looking at the Cubase one! Time to use my status as a broke college kid to my advantage! :laughings:

Hey cool!! I always wondered about those "student/educational" versions...been looking at the Cubase one! Time to use my status as a broke college kid to my advantage! :laughings:

Yeah Cubase is what I've got!
As well as maschine when they used to make it as an educational version.

What's the $ they're asking for the student version?

There are full functionality DAWs for as little as $60 (Reaper) - you could save some pennies for a better mic / interface / lava lamp if BabyPT costs serious spondoolicks anyway...

I can't help you with your exact question, but it's unlikely that Pro Tools, per se, was the cause of the issues.

I would like a complete honest answer as to if PT 10 is worth purchasing.

There are plenty of cheaper, less intimidating DAW (digital audio workstations) options. Do some research & you'll find some really good ones for $99 or less. Learn on those & buy better gear with the money left over.

Cubase, ableton, and reaper are incredibly inviting.
Though I've never used reaper I have downloaded it and had a peak around. Its comforting :D

EDU. Versions of PT, Cubase, and ableton sit @$300 vs the usual 5/600
Ableton intro and cubase essentials are $100. They're pretty feature packed for the price as well.

Most of this has been said but here it is.
Pro Tools SE does get a terrible reputation for glitches etc.
I've been using protools from v6.9 to the most recent V9 update. I've never had problems like that and I love it.

I actually bought the educational discount version when I was at uni and can confirm (for V9 at least) that it is identical to the full retail version.
I even had the option of getting the full retail packaging.

Beware though, I also took the crossgrade discount with it (£80 for full blown Pro tools!), but they don't give you the digirack plugs with that.

Back