PT 003R question

Tim Brown

Okay guys - I'm thinking about finally stepping into the world of Pro Tools.

What are the maximum number of Channels I can record live - in one pass - using the 003R?

Can I use multiple 003R's in one PT set up? (i.e., can I use 3 of them for 24- mic pres/channels in?)

I want maximum flexibility.

I will NEVER need more than 32 tracks. My stuff is all just Hard Rock, so I don't see the point in even attempting to go with an ProTools HD system.

But if I'm going to step into recording on a PC, I figured I might as well go with Pro Tools, and the Pro Tools LE software will do everything I need it to - it's just a matter of the interface.
Also, I have no interest in the Control 24 control surface with the Mic Pre's built in. I would rather have the Mic Pres separate from the actual control surface.
(Just an attitude I picked up in college regarding this issue.)
Plus, I don't want to pay $8,000 for the Control 24 - it just isn't worth it to me.

So, will Pro Tools 003R work for me in the way I want it to?

I wish the Hammerfall gear worked with PT!

I'd just buy one of their ADAT Cards that does like 52 channels of Lightpipe at once and be home free. LOL

Tim

Last edited:
Didn't somebody find a work around for the light bridge allowing something like 24-32 channels simaltaneously? I know they were talking about it over at gearslutz for the longest time.

are you talking about the lightpipe?
AFAIK the adat lightpipe protocol only allows 8 channels of I/O. I have heard of people tricking PT to allowing two interfaces to be used, but I've never heard of forcing one to support more than 18 channels. I don't think it's physically possible for the units to.

SONAR and DIGI 003

I don't want to open another thread for this, but I just stepped into protools and still want to use some of the features I used in Sonar. Now, when I try to run sessions on sonar by using the digi 003 interface the system hangs, and there's no way it would work... and the only option is to force sonar to close by ending the task.

Before, I used a Firepod with sonar, and it just ran perfect. Now by using the 003 with sonar is just a mess, am I missing something?

I don't want to open another thread for this, but I just stepped into protools and still want to use some of the features I used in Sonar. Now, when I try to run sessions on sonar by using the digi 003 interface the system hangs, and there's no way it would work... and the only option is to force sonar to close by ending the task.

Before, I used a Firepod with sonar, and it just ran perfect. Now by using the 003 with sonar is just a mess, am I missing something?

make sure you have the latest drivers. http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&eid=4049&categoryid=36

Although, Sonar isn't listed as one that has been tested with the ASIO drivers

Okay thanks.

Looks like I won't be going with Pro Tools.

LOL

Tim

Not to bust balls, but what are you recording that requires more than 18 simultaneous i/o? It was one of the main drawbacks for me, but realistically, I rarely require more than 12 tracks at a time.

Not to bust balls, but what are you recording that requires more than 18 simultaneous i/o? It was one of the main drawbacks for me, but realistically, I rarely require more than 12 tracks at a time.

Heavy Metal with a very large drumkit, including 2 mics on each kick, and more than 1 mic on the snare.

If, for example, I wanted to mic each drum, I could eat up 15 mic's (12 piece drumkit - from 6" mounted tom to a 20" Floor tom + 1 extra mic on snare, and an extra on each kick) and that is without overheads, or mic's on the hi-hats, or any room mic's.

Tim

Anyone??... I've already sold my Firepod so I really can't access to the Porjects made in Sonar, I do can open the sessions but not even touch a button 'couse it inmediatelly hangs. I purchased the 03 not only for using PT but also other software arount, if anyone's run into the same issue I would like to "try with a little help from my friends" :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I get the issues here but in the spirit of helping could you qualify some things???

You are attempting to run Sonar with the 003 as the interface yes??? Sonar software...Pro Tools hardware??

If this is the case and you're indicating Sonar hangs I'd suspect the problem would obviously be with Sonar.

I'm not a Sonar or a PC guy but does Sonar claim compatibility with Pro Tools hardware ASIO or not???

If so can you find a way to open Sonar without the 003 and make an attempt to configure the software so it see's the 003 first???

Is there anything in the Sonar i/o hardware setup that indicates a specific choice of Digi hardware OR an umbrella choice of ASIO drivers.

Does the 003 even see ASIO drivers??

Have you tried the Sonar forums?? Again the problem seems to be Sonar in nature maybe someone will have better first hand experience there

I'm not sure I get the issues here but in the spirit of helping could you qualify some things???

You are attempting to run Sonar with the 003 as the interface yes??? Sonar software...Pro Tools hardware??

If this is the case and you're indicating Sonar hangs I'd suspect the problem would obviously be with Sonar.

I'm not a Sonar or a PC guy but does Sonar claim compatibility with Pro Tools hardware ASIO or not???

If so can you find a way to open Sonar without the 003 and make an attempt to configure the software so it see's the 003 first???

Is there anything in the Sonar i/o hardware setup that indicates a specific choice of Digi hardware OR an umbrella choice of ASIO drivers.

Does the 003 even see ASIO drivers??

Have you tried the Sonar forums?? Again the problem seems to be Sonar in nature maybe someone will have better first hand experience there

Sonar detects the 003, it even shows the Digi ASIO dirvers on the Audio setup menu. It does not show any errors or compatibility issues and, yes, the 003 manual specifies that the hardware works on software other than Protools. Whithin the ProTools enviromen I do not have any issues, only happens in Sonar... should I just quit Sonar, should I insist 'till it works?....:cool:

Well...you should insist until it works if there enough at stake to justify the battle.

I'm still unclear however. I think you're saying Pro Tools hardware works with Pro Tools software. But it appears that Sonar software doesn't work with Pro Tools hardware.

You seem to be able to get Sonar open to the point that you can check the i/o page and determine that Sonar see's the 003....correct????

What then happens???

I still use Sonar about 40% of the time, and it works fine with the Digi hardware. Tracking, mixing, everything. I'm not sure what could be causing the system to hang. Last ditch effort, I'd try uninstalling Sonar and running a clean install.

Well...you should insist until it works if there enough at stake to justify the battle.

I'm still unclear however. I think you're saying Pro Tools hardware works with Pro Tools software. But it appears that Sonar software doesn't work with Pro Tools hardware.

You seem to be able to get Sonar open to the point that you can check the i/o page and determine that Sonar see's the 003....correct????

What then happens???

What then happens???

I was able to check the i/o tag and confirmed that Sonar detected the 03 correctly...

Out of the blue, the answer came to me... the Multiprocessing Engine MUST be deactivated (unchecked) in order to use Digi's hardware... that was the whole deal... I checked and the sessions flow plerfectly now. No halt, no errors, no hangs... freaking Multiprocessing...

Thanks guys for you encouraging me :o

Back