Psychedelic novelty tricks

tswion

Hey everyone, I'm looking for tips on how to achieve some of those little recording tricks you hear in some psychedelic bands' recordings. One that I would like to perfect is that rising delay that leads into the actual word, as heard in the beginning lines of Another Brick in the Wall. I want to make psychedelic recordings, so any other leads or tip offs would be of utmost appreciation.

What you're hearing is a reversed reverberation effect.

Here's how to do it. Reverse the track you where want the effect. Then apply reverb. Export the track. Import it and reverse the track. Ta-daaaaa! :D

The only problem with this method is that the reverb is fixed. Make sure you keep a dry copy in case you want to start all over.

Yes, it is. I critique it much harder than reverb, though. When I first started, like many people, I drenched my songs in reverb like an American drenches his salad in ranch dressing.

John Frusciante has a couple of songs with a large amount of reverse reverb. I think they sound great given the feeling of the song.

In this case, reverse delay - but same concept.

Back in the day we had to flip the tape reels over, find the track, pin the effect, print it to a blank track, (etc., etc., etc.), flip the tapes back over, hope we didn't record over anything (gee, that never happened...), find the new track and get the mix back up --- just to see if it worked. Then it usually took a half dozen tries to get anything close to "right" (where you'd start actually taking notes of what was going on so you didn't have to start from square one again).

It's so much easier these days...

If you're just looking to imitate/sound like a psychedelic band then yeah, just put it through a bunch of boxes. But people who have really "gotten off" (and they're a dying breed) know that the most psychedelic albums don't even use many effects. It's more about playing style and arrangement...but immersing yourself in that could put your straight life and social status at risk.

Yep,
fat_fleet is spot on. Psych to me isn't those effects but it can be enhanced by those effects sometimes.
there are some reverse reverb plugins around too - there's something in guitar rig 2 if I recall correctly.

Yep,
fat_fleet is spot on. Psych to me isn't those effects but it can be enhanced by those effects sometimes.
there are some reverse reverb plugins around too - there's something in guitar rig 2 if I recall correctly.

sometimes it sounds cool to throw a vibrato/chorus/trem infront of a verb send. like the sound toys crystalizer. makes for a very watery sounding verb tail

Back