PSG

dogooder

I have a song I want to play pedal steel on and I have a nice pedal steel to do it with. I only have one problem. I suck.
Heres a stab at it, ouch! The cymbal crashings are the least of my worries.

Attachments

• REMYS TUNE.mp3
    9.2 MB
Last edited:
Without knowing what you were aiming for it doesn't sound bad to me. Reminds me of some of George Harrison's slide work on All Things Must Pass. I play lap steel so I know that any type of slide takes time commitment. Your intonation sounds good... at least on my smart phone. The cymbal crashes are not good.

Without knowing what you were aiming for it doesn't sound bad to me. Reminds me of some of George Harrison's slide work on All Things Must Pass. I play lap steel so I know that any type of slide takes time commitment. Your intonation sounds good... at least on my smart phone. The cymbal crashes are not good.
If you listened to the PSG track buy itself.. I think it will take about 500 more takes. The difference between the PSG and the cymbal crashes? I can fix the cymbal
crashes. I didn't pick the easiest chord progression for a first go.

You don't suck. Depending on what you're going for, which isn't my place to determine, it might be too busy. You might be upstaging and stepping all over the vocal. Try laying back on it, accompany the vocal, a call-response. Swells, then prepare some lines for the solo(s).

Keep at it. I'd love to have a pedal steel. You're lucky, it's kind of rare to have access.

You don't suck. Depending on what you're going for, which isn't my place to determine, it might be too busy. You might be upstaging and stepping all over the vocal. Try laying back on it, accompany the vocal, a call-response. Swells, then prepare some lines for the solo(s).

Keep at it. I'd love to have a pedal steel. You're lucky, it's kind of rare to have access.
They just cost a lot of money and are a pain in the ass to learn to play and keep in tune. I have no idea what I am aiming for, just winging it.

Last edited:
They just cost a lot of money and are a pain in the ass to learn to play and keep in tune. I have no idea what I am aiming for, just winging it.

Yeah, I know they're not cheap. I'd love to have one. I've looked into wondering if I could, you know, pick up a cheap one. Even at that on the low end it's a bit of a commitment. I saw one in the pic you posted of your stable, didn't comment, but pretty cool. The only pic among those posted who has one. Indeed, pretty damn cool.

Don't know how long you've been at it, but I think you're doing good. I acquired a Dobro about a year or so ago. As with the pedal steel, and then some, it's not exactly translated that if you can play a guitar you can play a Dobro, or pedal steel. It's more like if you can play a kazoo you can play a saxophone....No, afraid not. Sure, pedal steel has strings, but it's a different animal.

Anyway. You're doing good, man. Keep at it and post progress. You don't particularly strike me as a Steely Dan fan, curious to me some people can't stand them. Jeff Baxter did some tasty pedal steel work with them on early albums. Steely Dan and pedal steel? Yeah, it works. Swells, call-response & transitional phrases, take off and shine on the solo. Perhaps not your cup of tea, but worth a listen?

Last edited:
I recognize the musicianship but I don't get into their music and I can't quite put my finger on why. They are not the type of band that
I change channels on if they come on the radio though. I am going to redo that track of course. My PSG came with a "franklin pedal" which if I
remember correctly dropped he F# and G# a whole step. I reconfigured it so it dropped both G#s a half step which gives me the minor third
so when I lay the bar across the fifth fret for the Amajor all I have to do now is push the "franklin pedal" to get the Am like I would by lifting
my middle finger on a barred A chord. Otherwise I would have to move. If I hold that pedal and the A pedal I get the IV7 chord, another added
extra. Knowing some theory and the number system makes it a hell of a lot easier to find your way around.

Last edited:
I recognize the musicianship but I don't get into their music and I can't quite put my finger on why. They are not the type of band that
I change channels on if they come on the radio though. I am going to redo that track of course. My PSG came with a "franklin pedal" which if I
remember correctly dropped he F# and G# a whole step. I reconfigured it so it dropped both G#s a half step which gives me the minor third
so when I lay the bar across the fifth fret for the Amajor all I have to do now is push the "franklin pedal" to get the Am like I would by lifting
my middle finger on a barred A chord. Otherwise I would have to move. If I hold that pedal and the A pedal I get the IV7 chord, another added
extra. Knowing some theory and the number system makes it a hell of a lot easier to find your way around.

Are you running a volume predal for swells and general volume adjustment?

yes, I always have for guitar also. It is a bit different and not as simple as one would think with everything else going on.

Last edited:
I've looked into wondering if I could, you know, pick up a cheap one. Even at that on the low end it's a bit of a commitment. I saw one in the pic you posted of your stable, didn't comment, but pretty cool. The only pic among those posted who has one. Indeed, pretty damn cool.

I see some once in a blue moon for under a grand. Best place to look is here.
I bought mine off the site and I got the best deal ever. I think I paid a 1000.00?
It was a natural finish even just as I prefer, and I wasn't expecting to get an extra foot pedal and knee lever.
I was able to make all my own parts if needed and still have friends in the machining business that will do it for me if needed.

Last edited:
I think I've been there before just browsing around after I got the Dobro and was curious about pedal steel. Like I said, I'm seeing pretty much a consistent few grand as standard pricing on the used market. At that, one had best be prepared to put in the time to learn proficiency to justify the coinage spent.

A lot of mechanics going on in those things, an engineering marvel. Interesting, I'll have to check out the history.

Keep on playing, brother, sounds you're well on your way.

I think I've been there before just browsing around after I got the Dobro and was curious about pedal steel. Like I said, I'm seeing pretty much a consistent few grand as standard pricing on the used market. At that, one had best be prepared to put in the time to learn proficiency to justify the coinage spent.

A lot of mechanics going on in those things, an engineering marvel. Interesting, I'll have to check out the history.

Keep on playing, brother, sounds you're well on your way.
I think you can still get a Shobud Maverick for under a grand. 10 strings, 3?pedals, 2 knees.

Attachments

• hobud.jpg
    hobud.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
I went to a steel players convention in Norfolk Ct. This gentleman, Buck Reid, was one of the guys playing. They had a big screen set up with the camera overhead so you
could see what was being played. It was pretty cool. There were a lot of good player there. The guy from Asleep at the Wheel played.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back