PSA-1 v. POD

BBB

I jsut recently compared the PSA-1 and the GT2 to the POD and ended up getting a used PSA-1. I thought I'd share my reason(s) for anyone who may be considering these amp modelers/emulators:

My main concern is the basic tone and character of the preamp. If the tone isn't there before the effects are added, I don't want it. That's why I got rid of my 2120. Killer effects... crap tone. Similar concerns with the POD. To me, the POD's tone had no character.

I also have a SansAmp GT2 and a Mesa/Boogie Quad. Compared to these preamps, the POD seemed lacking in tone quality, sustain, and character.

I don't understand where all of this POD support comes from. Sure, it's a nice complete package for the price. However, (to me) the sound is lifeless when compared to the GT2.

The GT2 is in a similar class as the POD as an amp modeler/emulator, but it doesn't have the effects and it is not MIDI compatible. When compared to the POD for raw tone, I perceive the GT2 to have more character. Believe me, I wanted to like the POD. I wanted to buy the POD with all the potential for many tones and effects. Unfortunately, the modeling is lifeless which didn't justify replacing or even adding to the GT2.

That being said about the GT2, the PSA-1 expands on the GT2 with MIDI capability and the ability to radically tweak your tones. The PSA-1 has character galore. It does a great job of emulating some good amps and allows for some interesing hybrids where you can dial up your favorite characteristics of each amp to create you own custom amp. However, it is expensive, it has no effects, and it can get a bit noisy. Most stores sell it for $550-595 or you can get a used one on eBay for about $350.

You can check out some PSA-1 sounds at www.sansamp.com and you can check out POD sounds at www.line6.com, all in MP3 format.

In summary, if you want a cheap box with adequate modeling tone and effects, get the POD. If you want a great sounding amp emulator and are willing to spend the cash, get the PSA-1.

Me

Back