PRS guitars? Worth the money?

Its really hard to photo them. Every small change in angle makes the top look completely different. Awesome in person, but hard to capture.

H2H

Feanor IV said:
Wow, thanks so much for all the great things you wrote guys, that was really helpful!!! I do like LPs a lot, but what I'm really looking for at the moment is a very flexible guitar.

You could mod the electronics on the LP to match the PRS. One of these days I'm gonna put tap switch pots on my LP . . .

Feanor IV said:
Wow, thanks so much for all the great things you wrote guys, that was really helpful!!! I do like LPs a lot, but what I'm really looking for at the moment is a very flexible guitar. I'm into various kinds of music, and -although my roots are in rock- I like to throw in anything, metal, jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, country, oriental stuff etc.

I know you like the PRS and Gibbys, but for what you're looking to do, have you considered a Fender AM strat HSS? I have one and can tell you that the humbucker along with the s-1 switching definately gets the nod in versatility.
Here's a link

Last edited:
Here's another pretty top.

70353b.jpg

As many on here have stated, the best thing to do is play several and see which one speaks to you. You'll know.

I personally prefer Gibson Les Pauls. I've played PRS's of all levels, and I just didn't dig 'em as much. I mean, they're nice...and well built. Even those PRS Santana SE models (made in Korea) seem really nice, but every time I played one, I thought..."well for the money, I could just about have a used US-made Gibson Les Paul Studio". Even in playing the higher-end models, they just didn't have the vibe I get from Les Pauls.

Again, plug in a bunch of 'em and wail away. You'll know which one is right for you.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
The fact that Ed Roman re-tops a lot of PRS guitars every year is probably pretty telling. The best tops I see are usually on off-brand custom made guitars.

:confused:
I do not want to argue, but nothing is more questionable to many serious guitar players and collectors than using an Ed Roman top mod as a reference about the quality of PRS tops! That means nothing.

I have heard plenty of stories of Ed Roman modding and retopping lesser non-10 top guitars, but very few are having him retop their legitimate 10 tops. I think that he has had some questionable moments with resale of modded mis-represented PRS guitars in the past

He may have a big store, but Ed Roman is a self serving, bombastic, crusty old fart. He has little credibility with much of the guitar community.

MrWinky said:
He may have a big store, but Ed Roman is a self serving, bombastic, crusty old fart. He has little credibility with much of the guitar community.

Um, perhaps I shouldn't comment here.

Yeah, I deffinatly shouldn't comment here.

And I REALLY shouldn't mention his recent article where he said that the "bolt-in" necks he has made for his shop will give more sustain than a glued in neck.

Yeah, I'm just gonna shut up now.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Codmate said:
A search for 'Ed Roman' on the Harmony Central forums is highly amusing ;)

Visit "The Gear Page" and do an Ed Roman search and you will find similar info.

BTW, I think that one other issue that bears mentioning is that many imported flame top guitars have a very thin veneer of flame, as opposed to the thicker maple slab tops used on a Les Paul or a PRS.

I have also noted that some of the most toneful axes that I have played have had pretty unimpressive tops. If you want flash you can find it, but you do not need it.

MrWinky said:
:confused:
I do not want to argue, but nothing is more questionable to many serious guitar players and collectors than using an Ed Roman top mod as a reference about the quality of PRS tops! That means nothing.

I have heard plenty of stories of Ed Roman modding and retopping lesser non-10 top guitars, but very few are having him retop their legitimate 10 tops. I think that he has had some questionable moments with resale of modded mis-represented PRS guitars in the past

Yeah, Ed is a nut, no doubt. It may just be years of seeing only bad eBay photos. But most pictures I see of 10 tops aren't often all that great. Like I said eariler, it might just be bad lighting or whatever.

A PRS is well worth the money, IMO, but asking a message board if you should get a PRS or a Gibson Les Paul is just plain silly. The two are on different ends of the guitar tone spectrum, and each is preferred over the other by different people who go for different sounds. If you have that much money to spend on a guitar, make sure you get exactly what is best for you. You could very easily find a totally different guitar that you like even more for a LOT cheaper. Me... I'm a Strat guy anyway, so what do I know? :p

I'm sure people have already posted this. Excuse me, for I did not read the thread. :cool:

No problem - thanks for your input man ;) Yeah, it's a little silly indeed, but I was just asking what people are more into and some other info, like which guitar offers more variety in the sounds etc. And I wanted to know if one of them is terribly overpriced while the other is not.... I think I'll go with the PRS, but I'll go to a few stores to check out a couple of guitars tomorrow or the day after....

Feanor IV said:
No problem - thanks for your input man ;) Yeah, it's a little silly indeed, but I was just asking what people are more into and some other info, like which guitar offers more variety in the sounds etc. And I wanted to know if one of them is terribly overpriced while the other is not.... I think I'll go with the PRS, but I'll go to a few stores to check out a couple of guitars tomorrow or the day after....
If you really like the PRS, check out Carvin. They are quite comparable for a fraction of the cost.

chiz said:
If you really like the PRS, check out Carvin. They are quite comparable for a fraction of the cost.

Carvin makes some fine guitars, a couple of which have a PRS vibe. But, they are not a PRS. The cool thing with Carvin is that you can have one built to meet your taste and color ideas, and it will cost less than a similar PRS....but if you are hankering for a PRS, that is what you should get.

You need to figure out which PRS model you want. There are several choices. A McCarty has less options, but if you want a Custom they come in two neck scales. They also come in different neck carves. You might also play a CE...They are great guitars too, even though it is a bolt on. The CE has a snappier tone and crispness that is different than the set neck Customs. By the way, Alex Lifeson of Rush favors the PRS bolt-on CE's.

Good luck.

chiz said:
Uuuuhhh.....no. Don't get me wrong, Carvin is nice. They are comparable in the sense that when you compare them, they're totally different guitars. :)

chiz said:
Hey, dood, what's all in your rack?
From top to bottom:

1. Rack Light
2. Furman Power Conditioner
3. T.C. Electronic G-Major
4. BBE Sonic Maximizer
5. Shure ULXS14 Wireless
6. Korg DTR-1000 Tuner
7. 2-Space Blank

Not pictured is my Marshall JMP-1 and also my pedalboard, which contains a DMC Ground Control Pro, a Morley Bad Horsie II, and a Digitech Whammy. Of course, the amp at the bottom is a Mesa Dual Rec. I've got it so the G-Major switches the channels on my amp head too. No need for the BigFoot that comes with the Mesa.

Last edited:
Which Guitar...I love more than one.

Feanor IV said:
Hey,I can afford $1500 for a nice new guitar, and I was thinking I could go for a PRS or a Gibosn Les Paul.

Choctaw writes:
I consider myself lucky in that I can enjoy having more than one guitar. I like playing around with solid bodies of which I have 3.

Les Paul Standard 1960, PRS Custom 22, and a G&L which is the last guitar Leo Fender made after selling the fender company, it is more than a strat to me.

MY addiction to playing them is quite upsetting. I have always wanted to just have one favorite guitar without the hassle of which one sounds best and plays best. However I find myself in a situation of playing backgrounds with my computer and Boss 880, and right in the middle of playing I will put one guitar down and pickup another to enjoy the various sounds and playing ability each instrument has. What a wonderful experience to enjoy the difference. Each guitar has it’s own special thing and it is a perk of life I appreciate. My only concern is that plugging and unplugging the guitar chords will wear out the connections….but it has not happened yet and I guess things can be fixed . Well that’s my fetish.

I am spoiled in having all 3 guitars to experiment with. If I could just have one I would be upset and could not easily choose any one of them that would do what the 3 guitars together do for me and my playing.

Some things I do notice is the Gibson is heavy with a small thin neck producing that wonderful tone only they can do. However for the life of me I will always wonder why they don't cut some wood off the upper back of the guitar so it will be more fitting to the players rib cage, it is VERY uncomfortable to say the least. The PRS is very light and has a thin WIDE neck, I do feel that some times the PRS sounds very cheep sounding but various effects makes it rock at times too, it does get sounds I can't come close to with the others. The G&L to me has lots of good sounds to mess with and plays much better than any strat I have owned, it still can get a good Fender sound if needed, which only a Fender gets.

So thats my story, I can certainly understand someone wanting the right guitar, but man which one is a real big choice and sometimes the choice is more than one, two, three, and .............

Last edited:
Myriad_Rocker said:
Uuuuhhh.....no. Don't get me wrong, Carvin is nice. They are comparable in the sense that when you compare them, they're totally different guitars. :)
:embarrassed:

Don't get ME wrong... I know Carvins are not PRS's. I'm just talking about the money for the most part. :)

Myriad_Rocker said:
From top to bottom:

1. Rack Light
2. Furman Power Conditioner
3. T.C. Electronic G-Major
4. BBE Sonic Maximizer
5. Korg DTR-1000 Tuner
6. 3-Space Blank

How's that Sonic Maximizer working out for you? I'm starting on the buying all of my rack gear now (JMP-1 was my first purchase) and I have been looking into them. I play with pretty low gain, and my only concern is that it will make my guitar sound too proccessed if that makes sense.

Well....I have mixed feelings on it. Some days I like it and other days I don't. Snag you one on Ebay. You can always sell it for what you paid for it if you don't like it.

Back