Protools vs. Cubase SX? What is best for an electronic/rock artist?

bonzxylophone

Hey guys. I'm thinking about upgrading my recording situation from my current Adobe Audition, Fruity Loops, and Cakewalk Project 5 deal which are the software tools I'm using at the moment for audio production, asides from my guitar and bass.

I really want to dig into something that is "industry" quality as I've learned I've been much more impressed with personal work when upgrading to a better product. As to using MGI photosuite or Paint Shop Pro vs. the industry standard Adobe products such as Photoshop and Illustrator, both which I use vigorously at home and work. I'm not satisfied with Adobe Audition at all.

Supposedly Protools is the industry standard, but Cubase seems to be huge as well since it's Steinberg and I'm very interested in their line of Virtual instruments from organs, synths, and groove agent 2 drum composer. I figure that Cubase would have better flexebility and support for other steinberg products then protools would have.

I'm really lost since this recording stuff isn't native territory for me, I just recently ordered a behringer mixer and a cheap MXL 990 mic. I believe I have plenty of creativity and ideas, I've never let software limit me, but I'm really in search of software that will help me expand further.

Thanks a lot for any feedback or random thoughts/ideas on this issue. :)

Flip a coin.

Honestly you won't gain "industry" sound by upgrading just software from what you have. If you can record 24bit/44kHz, that's all you need. The "industry" magic happens at convertors and upstream.

Other points to keep in mind. Protools TDM is the industry standard. Protools LE is a different animal. The software is similar but a lot of waht makes TDM the standard is in the hardware it uses.

You can only use Protools LE with specific "protools le" hardware, or Protools M-powered with M-Audio interfaces, some find that limiting or just don't like the idea.

Cubase may be the same way, but Protools is pretty picky about your computer specs. Make sure you meet ALL the requirements, you can find them at
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/

I was comfortable with Protools before I invested in my own equipment, so when it came time to buy it was an easy choice for me. The Digi interfaces (Mbox and then 002R) offered the features to let me do what I wanted so it wasn't an issue either.

bonzxylophone said:
I'm really in search of software that will help me expand further.
I do a whole bunch of electronic-sounding stuff too and the dead last software I would recommend for electronic stuff is 'protools'. They grudgingly added midi and VSTi support sometime last year.

The industry standard is good songs recorded well, and Cubase or any other of the seemingly hundreds of audio/midi sequencers will let you export .wav files if you ever get into a position in which you can't find any other alternative than to mix in 'protools'.

I use Tracktion as my main sequencer, along with Reason sometimes as a rewire slave. You can download a working demo of Tracktion 1 - it's going to be a few more weeks until Tracktion 2 is on the site. What appeals to me about Tracktion is it has everything you need within easy reach and it's all on one screen. And it's VERY fast to get ideas down.

ssscientist said:
I do a whole bunch of electronic-sounding stuff too and the dead last software I would recommend for electronic stuff is 'protools'. They grudgingly added midi and VSTi support sometime last year.

that's not correct. Pro Tools has done MIDI for quite sometime now. The only problem with Pro Tools and MIDI is they were originaly an audio sequencer who added MIDI later as opposed to programs like Digital Performer (and maybe even Logic) who started with MIDI and added audio later. This is why programs like Logic are weak on the audio side of things just like PT is weak on the MIDI side of things. Pro Tools concentrated their efforts in music and post production which is where they thrive in the industry.

If I were you i'd take a look at either Logic or Digital Performer (if you have a Mac). I personally don't like Logic, but DP is pretty strong and logically laid out in my opinion. However, it's been several years since I've used it. I've never used Cubase, so I can't comment on that (but I did use that Cubasis thing a long time ago...don't know how close that relates, but I found that program was pretty bad).
Good luck.
:cool:

I really appreciate all the feedback so far, this is an excellent forum for advice. I've done a bit of research on this stuff. ProTools definately is the "top" of audio recording but I don't think I should really worry about compatability with studios, as well I plan on doing all the mixing myself, I suppose I'll just stick to sending my songs in hi-bitrate format to friends and such to ask for their opinions on what they think of the mix, as they're all listening on different systems, cheap speakers, good speakers, etc.

The Mbox looks like a great value for it's price. But the idea of having to upgrade hardware (I read they do take 50 cents on a dollar on hardware to upgrade) bothers me somewhat. It's probably excellent stuff, but I'd rather invest in the core of my system as I've found myself interested in getting high end Matrox brand cards to improve my video editing, I simply upgraded to the best CPU/mobo/ram I could afford and I get more than enough performance for half the price of a PCI/hardware based performance enhancement system. Cubase seems to have more adept support for hardware and since it's stienberg as I've mentioned I seem to be more trustworthy with their plugin support. Pro Tools does have good support for Reason/Rewire stuff, reason is just something I can't get used to. I loved working with Fruity Loops, and now I use Project 5 by sonar which simply seems to be an enhanced fruity loops to me. I love Project 5 because there's no technical barrier between my creative vision and the music. I just click that stuff in, do a midi roll, export that and then drop some guitar tracks and mix with adobe audition. I'm just tired of adobe audition and well having to use two programs for one purpose while attaining maximum flexibility.

But then I suppose this throws Sonar 4 in the mix. To be honest I'm lost and most software to me seems too adept to be made for the general audience of people who make normal music in "styles". I really make some messed up music I don't want to hear the same drums throughout the song, I want to hear 6 different kits, multiple synths, stupid vocals that change throughout the track, I make really strange music, and I need some strange software that isn't geared for normal people.

Tracktion 2 looks interesting, I'll definately do more research on that too. I also want to legitly purchase my software, I'm honest I've used fake software before such as a whole line of adobe products, but thanks to that, I got a job today and I requested the software at my job and they paid the $1500 total for what I need, the fake software caused a real purchase. But anyhow, I just buy real stuff now I need something around below $400 as I'm a broke young person, so I guess M-box (not sure if I'm still interested because of weary midi stuff people are saying), Cubase SE, Tracktion 2 (looks affordable, need to research more about it), and maybe Sonar 4 studio edition. So far Cubase SE looks the most tempting because I love Native Instruments and almost all of the Steinberg plug-ins (which I could afford plus the low cost of Cubase SE). Who knows. I don't haha, thanks for the feedback folks, I really appreciate it!

bonzxylophone said:
The Mbox looks like a great value for it's price. But the idea of having to upgrade hardware (I read they do take 50 cents on a dollar on hardware to upgrade) bothers me somewhat.

having to upgrade? no one forces you to upgrade. every hardware/software company has updates that makes their older systems obsolete eventually. :confused:

The cubase family has long been a good choice for electronic music, and it does audio very well, too. I've used Cubase SX (v1) and older versions for years before switching to Pro Tools. Cubase is a good all around program.

I'm not at all fond of the VST set that Cubase comes with, but there are lots of free/cheap plugs that you can round out your initial set with. The one exception that I can recall is the VB-1- virtual bass guitar. The LM-9 drum module was pretty good, as well.

Pro Tools LE is a rock solid system, but it isn't any better than your other options unless you need easy studio compatibility or wicked audio editting tools.

Take care,
Chris

bonzxylophone said:
Hmmm I'm thinking about Cubase SL3 now. It's basically Cubase SX3 with a bunch of features I don't need.

I like Pro Tools, I had the 002r but sold it and got Cubase SL3 and a Mackie control universal and I feel like Im getting more bang for the same cost! Now if it was a TDM or a HD rig I would still be running Pro Tools.....

I suppose I'll go the cubase route now and later on in the future once I start making better money/afford better hardware (after music improves) then I'll probably switch to ProTools. I'm looking at the Cubase SL3 and SE, SE is only $99. Like for the $200 less I can buy myself a decent bass guitar as I desperately need one. Do any of you guys know if SE is probably decent enough for a starter?

bonzxylophone said:
I suppose I'll go the cubase route now and later on in the future once I start making better money/afford better hardware (after music improves) then I'll probably switch to ProTools. I'm looking at the Cubase SL3 and SE, SE is only $99. Like for the $200 less I can buy myself a decent bass guitar as I desperately need one. Do any of you guys know if SE is probably decent enough for a starter?

Yeah it will do the job, It has alot of features believe it or not....

Back