protools rack

what are you wanting to do? if you want to add more mic inputs, a better option would be an octopre or digimax. these are 8 channel mic preamps.

Drummlug said:
do i need to buy any special add ons or cables, or a specific mixer?
If your mixer has direct outs, you can connect them to the line inputs on your 003.

If your mixer has no direct outs, but has inserts, you can but Hosa Insert to Direct out cables, then use TS cables to plug into the line inputs on the 003.

You could also connect group outs, auxillary sends or the main outs from your mixer into the line inputs of the 003.

Either way, you WILL have to buy more cables. You'll also have to make sure that they'r the right cables for your mixer and for what you're trying to do.

Whast are you planning on recording? How many mics a at time? Do you want to run the mics through a PA while you record - for practice sessions or what-not?

yea ok

i do live recording, so its about 2 over heads, snare, and kick on drums. two guitars and a bass. so i use quite a few. i want a mixer to do things manually rather than by mouse. if i needed more imputs i could buy another rack peice, or would the mixer allow for more imputs? not sure im kinda new.

Your inputs are limited to the amount on your interface. If you've just got the 003, you'll need an 8 channel adat unit to add more I/O for your computer. I suggest just picking up a Behringer ADA8000.

If you're going the mixer route, don't do it because you want a more hands on approach, if that's the case just get a control surface. A mixer is a good way to get a bunch of decent preamps for cheap and it'll give you a plethora of monitoring options. That was enough for me to invest in a 16 channel Allen&Heath WZ16:2dx. You'll need to drop some serious money if you want a mixer that will have the ins and outs and summing buss to provide any convenience/quality over staying in the box.

Back