Protools problems... playback/recording.

lazedout

Hey all.

I got protools about a month ago along with the Mbox2. It worked great for the first little while, then all of the sudden i ran into the problem.

When recording, I would run into the HW buffer size error which told me to increase it. So I did, from 524 (around there) to the next level (1200 something) and it worked but the sound would be delayed on the headphones and sometimes id have to put the buffer size on full.

Also on playback it says that the DAE can retrieve aduio fast enough.

What do i do?

Digi error codes can be specific to a problem or they can be the only error code Pro Tools decides it knows how to deal with. Either way in order to solve problems without guessing or worse creating a new problem in an ill-informed attempt to solve an old one we need more specific information to help. Anything short of that would be offerings without any foundation.

Are you using an external drive?? Is it USB or Firewire?? How fast (rpm) is your drive?? What version of Pro Tools are you using?

What is your Operating system? Have you gone through the Digidesign PC setup guide? If your 180 gig drive is external have you defragged it?

Do your playback errors happen on ALL sessions or just one?

Digi error codes can be specific to a problem or they can be the only error code Pro Tools decides it knows how to deal with. Either way in order to solve problems without guessing or worse creating a new problem in an ill-informed attempt to solve an old one we need more specific information to help. Anything short of that would be offerings without any foundation.

Are you using an external drive?? Is it USB or Firewire?? How fast (rpm) is your drive?? What version of Pro Tools are you using?

What is your Operating system? Have you gone through the Digidesign PC setup guide? If your 180 gig drive is external have you defragged it?

Do your playback errors happen on ALL sessions or just one?

The hard drive is 7200 rpm. It is not dedicated to recording it is my main computer as well as recording. The playback error started at the same time, if not right after the buffer issue.

It is not dedicated to recording it is my main computer as well as recording.

Problem numero uno: use seperate system & audio hard drives. Get yourself either a second internal, or a FW external drive (yes, more expensive that USB, but it's what you need.)

Although USB 2.0 has faster theoretical specs than FireWire, it falls short in sustained throughput required for audio/video processing.

Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and then Hi-Speed USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

Write Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

In addition data throughput, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower data flow control). Whereas FireWire, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer.

Finally, http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=23140

actually, USB 2.0 HD's are faster than firewire.....

Brad pointed out the thru-put point, but also I think Digi much prefers FW drives? I was thinking it was a compatibility requirement but then wasn't sure about it!

lacedout---> also, as far as dealing with the latncy of the system - use the "mix" knob on your mbox - it's there for latency-free monitoring!

Back