Protools Options?

lo beam

OK here's the thing: I have a Powermac G4 ( old model - 450 CPU/512 RAM) and a new Audiophile 2496 s/card.

I need to get up to speed using ProTools ( I know opinion is divided on whether PT is neccesarily the best program, but I really do need to get familiar with it for a job) so what's the best solution ?

So far I've thought: get PT Free and run it on Mac 9.2.2.

Get PT M-Powered which will work using the 2496 ( but I don't think my machine meets the min specs)

OR Use PT 5.1 ( a copy of which is available at the studio I'm working at), but I'm not sure whether it's compatible with the 2496. Does it work only with Digi 001?

I'm really not concerned at this stage with being able to run squillions of plug-ins & tracks - I just wanna learn more about how to use PT.

Then I'll upgrade.

Many thanks for any & all contributions. To the thread - not my upgrade fund :)

Although...

5.1 will not work with the 2496.

I'd start with PT free if you have 9.2.2 running on your machine. Its a little funky, but it'll get you started.

Meanwhile do your research to see if M-powered will work on your machine. I'd be *really* hesitant to buy it if you're not sure. Pro Tools WORKS (period) if you have a qualiifed mahcine.

Take care,
Chris

Pro Tools requires Digidesign hardware or M-Audio supported hardware to run (for M-Powered).

Check the Digi website for compatability issues. They spell it out very clearly, and most systems are listed on there. If you have any other questions, call tech support.

Thanks guys...yeah, had a quick check & it would seem that PT Free is my only option for now.

A Mac related question though: I have OS X 10.3.9 ( Panther) running presently & I have a copy of OS 9.2.2 ready to install ( specifically to run PT Free).

I'm told that I can run both Operating Systems on my machine. Is this true?

Anyone have any words of wisdom to impart? Tips? Advice? Any known "issues" with running these 2 OSs?

Cheers!

Back