ProTools - Logic

stainlessbrown

I know this is one of those ongoing debates

scenario- I've been on ProToolsLE since 2000- I am in the process of replacing my PPC with a 8 core (can't quite ju$tify the 12 core)

I have been contemplating moving to Logic for some time, frustrated with various things about ProTools/Digi now Avid)... Now 9.0 comes out, and looking at the marketing hype, looks good and does address some of my issues (ADC, track count, "low latency mode)... but in watching the DUC there's a lot of people having issues of all sorts and while some of it surely is operator error... 9.0 seems to be pretty buggy

I have a Digi 002R and it's just a matter of time ( I expect) that Avid will drop all support of it as far as future software upgrades... so it's time to replace it- As 9.0 is no longer proprietary (another plus) I've been looking at the Motu 828mk3 to replace the 002R- my D8 plugs into it, I could add a second optical, and away I go...

I also have a Euphonix MC Control and MC Mix

the computer a the Motu represents a chunk of change- the difference between Logic and 9.0 upgrade (if I don't include the Toolkit) is ~$100 more (or ~$50 less if I wanted the ToolKit)

As there's a number of folks who use both Logic and ProTools- I'd really appreciate pros/cons from the end user as I've become suspect of marketing claims and have grown very tired of having to battle install and re-auth issues (which I know are unavoidable getting a mew Mac)

I do mainly "live" sessions with 12 - 16 tracks armed, and some tape synched thru a PPS-2- largest session to date has been 31 instruments + 8 virtual. While I don't rely on music as a main source of income, it is an important part of me!

wish I could help..I purchased Logic a couple of months ago, installed it on my macbook pro then went back to my PC and Live

It was very easy to pick up and get started on though, but in truth Ive no need to make a switch yet :o

I use Logic 9 as my primary DAW and have not run into any limitations or problems so far. Of course, I haven't done super huge recordings like the ones you're talking about doing, but I don't see why Logic would have any trouble with big recordings as long as your computer can support it. If you're unsure if you want to get Logic, you might want to start by getting the Express version ($150 street) since it has most of the features the Pro version has, it has the exact same layout and interface as Pro, and I've heard that you can upgrade to the Studio (Pro) package for $300 once you have Express (but you might want to double check that).

If you've played around with GarageBand at all, it is a really smooth transition from GarageBand to Logic. When I was just beginning I was using GarageBand as my primary DAW and once I got Logic, it only took me a few hours to get the hang of how the GarageBand functions translated to Logic.

If you have any friends with Logic, I highly recommend playing around with it for a little bit. I'm sure you'll like it!

Thanks for the comments-

after further research I'm leaning more towards Digital Performer- they have an attractive 'competitive" upgrade

this shift is partly from acquiring the Motu 828 mk3, so I'd expect ZERO issues using Motu's software, and it seems to have all the bells and whistles I'd likely need

I use Logic 9 as my primary DAW and have not run into any limitations or problems so far. Of course, I haven't done super huge recordings like the ones you're talking about doing, but I don't see why Logic would have any trouble with big recordings as long as your computer can support it. If you're unsure if you want to get Logic, you might want to start by getting the Express version ($150 street) since it has most of the features the Pro version has, it has the exact same layout and interface as Pro, and I've heard that you can upgrade to the Studio (Pro) package for $300 once you have Express (but you might want to double check that).

If you've played around with GarageBand at all, it is a really smooth transition from GarageBand to Logic. When I was just beginning I was using GarageBand as my primary DAW and once I got Logic, it only took me a few hours to get the hang of how the GarageBand functions translated to Logic.

If you have any friends with Logic, I highly recommend playing around with it for a little bit. I'm sure you'll like it!

Your correct $300 is the price I paid to upgrade from express to studio I know for a fact Sweetwater has the upgrade.

Stick with tools.

I have a friend who has pleanty of rants about little things about logic, as I do with tools. Wait until 9 has had an update, so some of the edges have been rounded off. then crossgrade to it.

You do alot of live recording, Pro Tools major + is working with audio. As well as the euphonix gear you have will work brilliantly with tools since they have/will have, great intergration. I feel alot more comfortable using audio in pro tools, I think the upper side to logic is indeed the MIDI side.

at this point I've moved away fro logic and Digital producer is where I'll likely be moving. The competitve upgrade is ~ $150 less than buying 9.0 with the Toolkit

DP has been long integrated with Macs, and is fully integrated with my Euphonix. I've chatted back and forth with a guy on another forum that records in similar fashion to me (multi-track live recordings) and has similar hardware (interface and ADAT pres)

DP will even run on my PPC, whereas I have no choice but to upgrade to a new Mac (but at least with DP it's more my decision). I will lose some RTAS, most regretable are the Massey Plugs and Xpand (which i may still be able to use through re-wire), but my other plug-in softwares has AU and or VST- and DP has a really nice Midi/notation software- and there appears to be very little latency issues as DP seems to be much more CPU friendly (of course with 8 cores probably not much of an issue with anyone's software)

and I'll admit, I don't want to wait around till PT gets the bugs fixed, in truth I'm really not that interested in screwing with computers, I'd rather be making music.

and if i hate DP.... it'll cost me a few hundred bucks but I'll still have a licensed registered copy of 8.0 to upgrade from

Back